Friday, September 26, 2008

I Consider This Folly, And Yet...

Man, I'm looking a bit tired here.  I was up too late dating everyone so speedily.  :-)  Woke up ENTIRELY too early too.  Egyptian.  It all went well, of course.  I'm good at this stuff.  

I had a wonderful lunch at Lipsius, and got to chat with Muhammad a bit more.  In French this time!  This man is amazing!

I then got coffee and sat on the bridge over the canal by my library.  The sun was shining, my coffee was warm in my hands, the air was brisk around me.  The sun shone off the canal, and lit up another, beautiful bridge.  I'll have to post a picture so you can get an idea of this beauty.  There were even lilies blooming in the water below me!  

I closed my eyes and Just. Let. Go.  

The rest of the day wasn't as important as this moment.  I met with my group to work on a project.  I went to the Common Room and translated some more.  I had a meeting, then another.  I came home. 

While in the library I was amazed at myself.  Not too long ago, I would have cherished each book, hungry for the knowledge inside them.  Today, I was unattached to them.  I understand why people want to organize the details, but I no longer feel I need to join them.  "Why," I thought to myself, "have I cherished these tiny matters over the small things the Universe is always showing me?"  

I never thought I'd let go of my love of books and my love of knowledge.  But I suppose I have.  And nothing is lost to me.

I used to delight in the details of this world.
Spending my days pouring over ancient tomes.
Now I consider this folly.

And yet,
I can sit for hours in silence
Staring at sunlight shattered on the flowing river.
--Poem I wrote today


2 comments:

Carrotflowers said...

I always come across these poems and I'm like, hm I'll share this with Amy and then wham! it turns out it might apply. (Well, that's Rumi for you.)

if you can't go to sleep
my dear soul
for tonight
what do you think will happen

if you pass your night
and merge it with dawn
for the sake of heart
what do you think will happen

if the entire world
is covered with the blossoms
you have labored to plant
what do you think will happen

if the elixir of life
that has been hidden in the dark
fills the desert and towns
what do you think will happen

if because of
your generosity and love
a few humans find their lives
what do you think will happen

if you pour an entire jar
filled with joyous wine
on the head of those already drunk
what do you think will happen

go my friend
bestow your love
even on your enemies
if you touch their hearts
what do you think will happen

-- Ghazal 838
Translation by Nader Khalil

Amy Sun said...

You are amazing. I thank all the manifestations of the Big U for you and your beautiful Sufi insights. :-)