Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ducks 'n Dunes

Well, I'm moved in to my newest flat in the Netherlands.  I'm frankly a bit terrified of this new spot.  I haven't had an honest to goodness roommate since freshman year of college.  I don't really know what to do with myself.  I've only met my roommate once, briefly, and I feel sort of like I'm intruding on her space.  My half of the room is empty and grey, and hers is decorated and clearly hers.  She's not here now, and I'm sort of afraid for her to find me here, working at my desk!  Even though it is MY desk!

No worries though.  I have a balcony, which is pretty sweet, and it looks out over a canal where ducks particularly love to splash about.  I can't really argue with duck filled canal views.  I can also see the dunes from here (same as the ones pictured here.)  They aren't quite as close up and visible and such, but it's still pretty nifty to think that my balcony looks out onto the sea!  I can't see it, but I KNOW it's there, and that's a comfort.  

Today has been good.  I've spent most of it organizing my junk, and getting it ready for the move.  Koos and I did hang out on his upstairs, awesome, roof terrace, and met his neighbors who are both Americans who study linguistics.  We drank port, ate brie and honey, and watched the sun set over the dunes.  Ahh, life doesn't really get much better than that!

And the sun shone again today.  The past two days have been rather odd, with a thick white haze covering the entire world.  And chilly.  But today I was able to wear my favorite green skirt, and a bright green scarf as a top, and sandals.  I felt Caribbean again, and I miss that feeling!  :-D

Now, I'm sitting alone in my new room, getting ready to translate the Westcar papyrus.  Not sure whether I should hope my roomie is a goody goody or a party girl!  :-P

No comments: