Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Big Blink

More and more I find the transition between my daydreams and my studies to be  difficult.  Fortunately for me, my studies aren't much of a problem anymore.  Well, I say that.  We took a test today which I failed.  Fortunately I'm not taking this particular class for credit, because I was a dismal failure.  But it was only because I had been writing just minutes before.  And somehow switching from my dream world to ancient Egyptian was just too much for me.  I couldn't remember simple words, couldn't bring the sentences into focus.  Class was fine though, and I had no trouble.  Just the transition.

Before class I went to Lipsius to write for a few minutes.  I had been working, and cleaning all morning, so I waited for a moment to gather my thoughts.  I wrote a line or two, stopped again to think.  The man sitting next to me, clearly a professor, stood up to leave, but before he went he smiled at me and asked, in Dutch "Are you trying to write something?"  When I nodded he smiled and said, again in Dutch "Then stop thinking and write!"  He said I could look back over it later.  I laughed, and he winked at me and walked off.  And I just started writing, no thoughts.  
Mostly questions came.  About my character, about her boyfriend, Bal, about what they were doing and why.  But answers came too!  Amazing!  So, I managed to get two pages of questions and answers before class.  Quite a nice exercise!  :-D  

After class I read Clan of the Cave Bear.  I read this book as a child, and Jan let me borrow it so I could read it again.  I can't say it's the best written book I've ever read, but I adore the story.  I can see why I loved it so much as a child: it's about a girl who studies to become a medicine woman.  Those were my favorite sorts of books as a kid.  :-)

Julia and Susanne came over for dinner and we made some pretty amazing banana-carrot curry.  :-)  After dinner I showed them my new poi, and then we all went out into the hall to play.  Silvia came over.  Laura and Matteo poked their heads out of the room and played too.  I taught everyone a few moves, and they practiced and played, and hit themselves in the face, and laughed, and it was just an amazing time.  We played with poi for almost 2 hours I'd say!  I think I'll try to teach a class on poi spinning next semester.  :-)

Now it's suddenly 1am, and I'm not sure how that happened.  Market day tomorrow, and I have plans to buy some yarn.  I have a few things I want to make!  :-)  

Life continues to amaze me.  And I think I might just be teaching Life a few things too!  ;-) 

No comments: