Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mom in Europe

I just woke up from a three hour nap, so I'm not entirely sure of where or who I am.  :-P  My mom and aunt just left, and I'm beyond exhausted.  But we had a great time!

They arrived last Wednesday, and we spent the day bumming around, trying to help them through jetlag.  Ate an excellent meal down at Café Einstein.  Sort of strange since Wednesday night at Einstein is generally the night for crazy international students to drink.  But the meal was calm and amazingly tasty.

Thursday we didn't wake up until 11am (mom usually wakes up around 5 or 6am!) and did Amsterdam.  Shopping.  Mucho shopping.

We found out that it was supposed to rain in Leiden on Friday, so we decided instead to go to Paris, where the weather was nice.  So we did.  Perfect timing, too, because Tuesday (when we had planned to go) was Bastille Day, and we would have never found a cheap room.  We did the Paris things, towers and Avenues and arcs, etc.  On Saturday we went to the Louvre and did a whirlwind tour of it.  

I got lost.  Mom finally found me, and in the ensuing rush to leave the building, I lost my brand new camera.  I went back to the security guard and he told me that another visitor had found my camera and given it to one of his colleagues.  She said yes, someone had given her a camera like mine, and then an Asian mad had come by and said it was his.  Pink.  It was PINK!  My camera got stolen from the security guard!!  :-P  Sucks about the camera, but the story in the end is pretty hilarious, I think.  

Thank you, unknown Louvre visitor, who found my camera and did the right thing. 
May you find peace, unknown Asian man, who took my pink camera.  I hope you really did think it was yours.

The rest of the time in Paris was spent shopping and walking and eating in little albeit extremely touristy cafés.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the city.  I had such negative stereotypes about what the French and especially the Parisians would be like, and they were all happily broken.  My French was less broken than those stereotypes!  Whoo!

Monday we met up with Koos and took a long boat ride from Katwijk through the Kagerplassen lakes and back.  The day was perfect.  Warm sunny weather, beautiful scenery, and lots and lots of sail boats!  Mom likes Koos, which made everything that much more fun.  :-)  Afterwards we went to dinner.  Koos' was better than mine. 

Tuesday we went to Delft.  It rained and we all got soaked.  Me especially.  

Yesterday we went to the Castle Haarzuilens and walked about.  It's a huge castle in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a beautiful park.  I went there for a fantasy fair in April.  This time there was a Home and Garden show going on, so people were selling everything from fudge to hot tubs.  Lots of fun.  The castle itself was also cool.  

Woke up early early this morning and took the girls to the airport.  Came home, ate a pizza, and went back to bed.  Three hour nap.  Ahh.  I was just plain tired.

Now the real world comes back into focus.  First step: find an apartment for the post-15.August world (that's when my current lease runs out.)  The rest will fall into place.  It always does.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

glad you girls had a great time!

your moving again? what is up with the student housing system there that you can't stay in one place?