Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Help Me, Jan!

This is a photo of Jan Assman, one of the most interesting Egyptologists around.  He wrote three or four of the books I'm using right now on my paper about mourning scenes, and will almost certainly be involved in whatever thesis I come to.  Mostly, he writes about death.

This paper is just not getting itself written.  Writer's block, big time.  Thanks to Herr Assman here I know what I want to say, but my thoughts aren't forming themselves into words.  It's like my words are rebelling and just want to party in some fiction somewhere.  Gah.

Oh well, the prof decided he didn't want to wag the papers to Egypt, so we have a little more time.

And speaking of time.  It looks like I'm going to be staying here another semester.  The department won't be able to tell me until March whether another year will be added to my program, and classes start next week.  So, I'm going to sit tight another semester, and if the program here is just one more year, I'll stick around.  If it's another two years, I'll head back to the states.  Then I have a lot of options.  I can't start a masters until the Fall anyway, regardless of what continent I'm on.  So, doesn't that feel better?

February 1st is when Mercury is direct again, and this wacky time of retrograde will be over.  If we can all hold out until Sunday, we'll be fine.

Everything is getting shaken up.  Things are changing big time.  I can feel it in the air, even.  Today it looked like early morning in spring, all day.  All day.  This is going to be quite an interesting spring.

No comments: