Monday, October 13, 2008

Boo! Woo!

I blinked and suddenly it was autumn.  This season has been sneaking up on me, sending out hints.  A crispness in the air one morning, the yellowing of the leaves, the color of the sun.  But today, it was as if this sneaking autumn just jumped out at me and screamed "boo!" and started laughing!  Everything smells like browning leaves and acorns.  Dusk tonight was purple.

My day was busy, but invigorating.  ISN-R had a meeting with the International Student Support group from the University, and they've offered to help us out with anything we need help with.  Which is wonderful!  

The sword forms in Wushu tonight were much more intense than they have been.  Flashing metal, jumps, one handed cartwheels.  I hope I get my sword soon so I can practice more often! 

There was also a meditation workshop tonight.  Aiste organized it along with the Art of Living Foundation.  Our teacher was Ajay (Suriname) and he talked to us about mindfulness, living now (and not caught up with the past and the future), focusing on our breathing, that sort of thing.  We did some breathing, and some meditation, and some yoga, and we all chatted, and it was really great.  Ajay and I really hit it off.  I was the last person to come in, so I had to walk through the middle of the tiny room with everyone staring up at me from the floor.  So I made jokes and wasn't shy, and Ajay liked that.  When he asked us all why we were there, I said I was interested in possibly looking into teaching similar workshops.  I also mentioned the Quarter Life Crisis and my interest in the phenomenon.  He took that and ran with it.  He loved the idea of a QLC and had never heard of it. At the end he told me he liked my spirit, and that I would probably be very good at what he does.  :-D  

Good thing I took a mindfulness seminar, because I then realized that I had left my key at the sports center, so I had to bike back.  And then, they hadn't seen it, and I couldn't find it where I left it.  So, I had to come home and call the poor emergency maintenance man to come out at 11pm to make me a new key.  On the phone he told me I was stupid for losing my key!  None of this really bothered me though, and I actually laughed and agreed with him when he called me stupid.  It was the same guy who helped fix my electricity when it wouldn't work, so I joked with him, in Dutch about that, and he shook my hand and left me, both of us laughing.  Happy ending.

Best Thing Ever:  The maintenance man thought I was Dutch!  After hearing me speak the language!  Whoo hoo!!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as I know, Dutch language is very difficult! and even more, having a good accent is hard!! you must be very talented Leila jan! Congratulations on that!
:)
And the meditation part...so funny! I wish I had enough time to do that, too!
Maybe in near future...

Take care and be happy my dear friend.