Thunder and lightning and strange dreams all night. I remember thinking that something really big was standing outside my window talking with the storm.Woke up and bought some bread and (soy) milk. And a banana.
Spent the rest of the day sitting in Lipsius, translating Pyramid Text #222.
An entire group of school children walked by me at one point, and all of them just stared and stared at my work. :-)
I headed off to Wushu. In the cold and rain. I was soaked through and through, icy water dripping, by the time I got there. Learned some new fun stuff in Tai Chi and was told I did it well. Had a lot of fun in Wushu talking to my friend.
I'm embarrassed to say that though we hang out for four and a half hours per week (in Wushu and Tai Chi) I couldn't tell you what his name is. I don't think I ever actually knew it, truthfully. We just started talking while waiting in line, and somehow names just never got exchanged.
Nor did origins. I found out today that he's from Curaçao. He speaks English and Dutch, but his native language is Papiamento. He thought I was Dutch, but he said at first he thought I might be from Curaçao too. Said I looked like people from his island. :-)
I also talked with my friend's friend, Clinton, who is also from Curaçao. My friend speaks only English to me, even though he knows Dutch, and Clinton only speaks Dutch to me, even though he knows English. :-) Clinton also spoke some Papiamento to me! (And I sort of blew them both away by understanding it.) ;-) (Papiamento is a creole of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and some African and Amerindian languages.)
I've been doing a little Wikiresearch on Curaçao and apparently the average low temperature in January is 24ºC (76ºC) !!! I've decided that's the kind of place for me! If for some reason, I had to live the rest of my life in this soggy green land, I'd make the best of it, and I'd quickly learn to love cold and wet more than anything else. But, I've still got a choice, and though I'll love my time here, once it's over...well, there are places on this earth where it never gets below 20ºC. And I'd very much like to be there.
Pasa un bon dia! Te aweró.

No comments:
Post a Comment