Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Greek Statues and Peacock Colored Wings

I had a dream last night that I was in a Greek temple (painted bright colors) fighting an enormous statue of Perseus.  I was a hero, and so I had super human strength, and was able to avoid him.  I was terrified of him until I realized that we were just reenacting a dream I had about fighting a huge statue of Perseus.  Turns out we were really friends.  

Perseus was the hero who killed Medusa, but I don't think this is important.  Perseus was helped out by the god Hermes, and I think that's the key.  Hermes gives him all his stuff so he can fight the gorgon, so I think Perseus represents him in this dream.  Hermes is the god of boundaries, and thus also of the people who cross them (ie. travelers)  so he's always been a favorite of mine (the gods of the crossroads always are.)  I've been thinking about this dream all day, because it was so intense.  Clearly telling me something.  I think it's telling me that what I think I fear is really a friend of mine.  Could my subconscious be more clear about this?  I am fighting change that I should be embracing.  Add this to my snake dream of last night (snakes are also a symbol of Hermes, btw!) and maybe I should let my soul cat out of the bedroom I hid it in....

Anyway, today was another fascinating Dutch day.  The weather changed so many times, it was just too hard to keep up with.  I met with my group for the Mastaba presentation tomorrow.  I listened to a great Zen lecture between classes.  (Know this and you will know everything:  Nothing whatsoever is worth clinging to.)  Coptic was great, we translated and read, and learned, and giggled, and I just love this language.  Perro.

I came home and chatted with my mom for a while.  Very good for us both, I think.  She's going through some rough times as well.  Stress from work, and family, and friends, and the cat, and just lots of little things all tumbling down.  So we vented, and laughed, and sang country songs, and life was better for us both!

ISN-R meeting followed by drinks at Proost, where I got to chat with Marijn for a long time.  I also met David (USA) who is a former board member.  We'll be meeting up this weekend for coffee to discuss some of the things I have to do.  I have A LOT to do.  Though, I'm still having fun with it.

In other news:  I've noticed an interesting change in myself.  Ever since I moved to the Netherlands, I've been dressing myself in blues and greens.  I'm not doing this intentionally.  I've pretty much always been a spectrum of reds.  But everything I've bought for myself here, sweaters, jackets, scarves, even towels, have all been blue or green or some combination of the two.  I've always loved these colors (I love just about every color you can throw at me, truthfully, and I don't tend to acknowledge clashing laws) but for some reason I just keep reaching out to them in a way I never did before.  I'm exploring my turquoise side!  :-)

I wrote a long time ago that I was an emerging butterfly with peacock colored wings.  I suppose I wasn't too far off, afterall.

No comments: