Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Candlight and Finally Some Attractive Dutch Men

Sigh.  <-- That's a sigh of contentment, just so you know.  

I talked to my mother last night on Skype, and during the course of the conversation I developed a pretty wicked, wheezy sort of cough.  My mom, convinced I was getting pneumonia or TB or something, insisted that I heat up some wine and drink it with some cinnamon.  So I did, and went to bed feeling warm, and rather fuzzy.  But no more cough!

Today was, as predicted, a Coffee Star sort of day.  Silvia and I sat for HOURS there and worked.  Julia and Jason joined us eventually and we were all very brav and worked hard.  I have a zillion note cards, and I think I might just be able to learn them all.

After Coffee Star closed, I came home and looked over my presentation for tomorrow.  I also read some more of The Marble Faun.  I'm completely entranced by this book, and I really really want to read more Hawthorne.  I think I'll find The Scarlet Letter over Winter Break.  (I had to read that book in high school, and everyone complained and complained about how boring it was, but I picked it up and read it in one night. Just could NOT put it down!)  

Julia and I went to the Collegum Musicum concert at the Pieterskerk.  Mahler, Mendelssohn, Grieg.  By candlelight.  Good stuff all around.  I think it was exactly what I needed more than anything.  I just sort of stared off into space and let my mind flit about while I watched the candles dance to the music.  Ahh.

Julia and I were both a little too relaxed afterwards, and were on our trip home when we saw Roebles, a Russian bar.  Didn't Jason say he was going there with some friends tonight?  Let's see if he's still there!  So, we did, and he was.  It was quite the contrast to our candlelight concert, but we adapted well enough!  A little dancing, a little wine, and the largest collection good looking men I've seen since coming here.  I swear, I've been wondering where Leiden keeps all its attractive men.  Found them.  :-D

No comments: