Thursday, December 18, 2008

I've Been Lost, But That's All Over Now

Today's picture of the day comes fromwww.Coraline.com.  Coraline is a children's book written by Neil Gaiman about a girl (Coraline) who enters an Other world where her Other Mother and Other Father are ready to take care of her forever.  You just have to have buttons sewn in for eyes and you can stay forever, too.  And ever.  It's a delightfully creepy book, and they're turning it into a movie.  Which means the website is cool.  Want to create your Other Self?  Go to the Other Mother's Workshop and button your eyes.

Today has been quite a strange one for emotions.  I woke up at 10 (which was physically painful from lack of sleep) and made fried apples for Julia's train ride.  I  helped her get the last of her stuff packed.  Silvia came over and we headed off to the station where we met with Ilaria and Janos.  To say goodbye!  :-(  We waved white handkerchiefs (ok, kleenex) as her train pulled away.  

Walking away from the station, the sun came out and shone, with a force I haven't experienced in months.  I closed my eyes (partially due to the glare, but partially just to soak it all in) and walked with Silvia and thought about how great it has been and will be to know the people I know.

Silvia and I then went to the Catwalk (a café) and ate blueberry bagels with bananas and honey, and drank cinnamon coffee with whip cream.  It was such an amazing brunch, and the two of us were in such a great mood!  I don't know why.  Our best friend just got on a train and left us.  I guess the sun opened up something in us.  Or maybe Julia just reminded us that soon enough we'll be leaving Leiden too. Better enjoy the people and the place while you can!

So we went shopping!  :-P  I got a gift for Jan (although the woman at the shop was so rude, I almost left) and some candy for my family, and for Susanne and Vanessa (I've given it to them already, so I can say that) and some super top secret Other gifts (though not with buttons on) whose nature I cannot reveal at this time.  I also FINALLY got some shoes that I think will make some decent Wushu shoes (shushushu) for only €10.  I saw some really cute boots, but they only had them in Silvia's size.  So she bought them!  :-D  

After a fabulously exhausting day with Silvia, I came home and puttered about, and at five I met up with Susanne and Vanessa for dinner.  We went to an Eritrean restaurant!  Argh.  So good!  I got a pile of lentils and the most amazing mix of veggies ever.  The girls ordered a mix of meats.  My policy on meat is, I don't eat it unless 1) it will offend the cook or be a nuisance if I don't, 2) I'm craving it (which generally means my body needs something it can give me.  Note: this is rare, maybe once or twice a year.) or 3) it's in a traditional dish that I've never tried before.  This fell into the 3rd category, so I tried it, but instead of getting a piece of meat, I got a huge hunk of bone.  Which I took as a sign, and happily went back to my veggies.  

We drank coconut flavored beer out of coconut shells!  Best thing ever?  Possibly.

We stayed there until 9 chatting, in German, which was nice on lots of levels.  We have plans to meet again after the holidays for more African food, and Feuerzangbowle!  (For my non-German pals, Feuerzangbowle is a hot mixture of spiced wine and rum.  A huge cone of sugar is set on fire above it, and the molten sugar drips in.  It's also a movie, and every German has seen it entirely too many times.  Sometimes they act it out, like Rocky Horror, but I don't know how common this is.  Either way, we're going to watch the movie, and drink spiced-molten-sugar-wine-rum!)  

I came home.  But not for long.  I read a bit of Memoirs, but then I was gone again.  To Einstein.  I found Jan, and we chatted with Giovanni and a few others.  Then we talked about books.  He had a book of Poe in his pocket.  We are dorks.  But what else is there to talk about in a bar, anyway?  He had to leave early though, since he has to finish a paper and pack to leave for Rome in the morning.  I stayed behind to say goodbye to people I might never see again.  Unfortunately, they weren't there.  Giovanni, who will be here next semester, left for another party, and I was alone.  No problem, there were tons of people there.  Problem, I didn't know any of them!  Wild!  Oh well.  

On the way home I took a million pictures of the street.  The trees are decorated, and they reflect off the canal, and it's breathtaking.  I live in this town that is so beautiful.  I'm feeling pretty good today. 

Though every time I walk by Julia's hallway I feel an empty spot somewhere in my throat.  I expect to see her shoes in the hall, or maybe run into her.  But she's gone.  It's ok though, because I always fill in that empty spot just by thinking about her.  Quite a woman.  :-)

Lolpod:  A guy rode by me on a bike wearing a purple blanket (with reindeer on it) like a cape.

Song In My Head (Simh): I Don't Know What They Wanted Me To Say -- Mickey Newberry

My friends all tell me how much I've changed
I tell them nothing stays the same
They just smile and walk away
I don't know what they wanted me to say

I've been up and I've been down
Turned on, turned out, been turned around
I've been lost but that's all over now
Hope remains and only God knows how.

No comments: