Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rapper's Delight

Hair cut, 80s-style?!  Or Me Being A Goofball?!  You decide!

So, in Thursday's post I complained a tiny bit about how I just wasn't able to write anything.  Well, I think my Muse must have felt sort of sorry for me, because I got smacked in the face with inspiration and two pages just fell out of my hands.  It was quite the rush.  I couldn't stop writing, but I didn't know the story!  My mother always told me that stories are given to you, and I completely understand.  I have NO clue where this story came from.  It's dark, and strange and  I seriously didn't know what was going to happen next.  I still don't!

I was up until 3am because of my Muse, and talking to Tyler about our various arts anyway.  He and I are planning a photo shoot when I'm around, and we're having ENTIRELY too much fun with planning.  Also:  Mike is too gorgeous for words.

Ok, you caught me, I'm just being a goofball in the photo above.  I'm listening to NPR Playback where they play radio casts from 25 years ago (1983, baby.)  This is amazing. I'm currently listening to casts from November 1983.  They're talking about this new genre of music called "Rap" and a new technology called "cellular phones".  Yes.

So, yesterday it snowed at home.  Mom sent me some photos of our house and yard covered in white.  I've never seen more snow in our yard!  It was a blizzard!  Ok, it was only a few inches, but still, for home it was quite a blizzard.  

I went back to the Public library and attempted to study for a few hours.  I made a few more note cards and learned some more vocab.  But looking at the huge stack of texts that I'm supposed to know, I realized that I'm almost certainly going to fail this exam.  I just don't know this stuff well enough.  I've had a year of Egyptian, but truthfully, it wasn't a great class, and I didn't really learn very much.  So, this is, practically, my first year of this stuff, and I'm attempting to pass a third year class.  Try taking a third year Spanish course and passing the exam with just the knowledge you've gained from watching Sesame Street!

So, even though I'm hopeful about Monday's exam, I'm not going to be too upset if I do, in fact, fail.  I can retake it in March, so there's no need to get as upset about it as I was getting.  

After a few hours of Egyptian, I switched back to writing, and continued to learn about my strange and dark character, whose name I still don't know.  The story is told in her voice, and I find it so very fitting, since she's literally talking to me.  I'm just the scribe.

After the library closed, I borrowed Julia's bike (my back tire is flat, and I'm considering buying her bike anyway) and attempted to head to the Duwo building for a dinner party.  The bike was way too big for me, so I had to practice getting on and off of it without dying.  It was a rather terrifying trip!

Duwo is scary.  It's located outside of town, and even though 600 students live there, it's silent, and empty.  I joined up with my friends at Cindy's house.  My party crowd has become Jan, Walter and Kia.  If I'm at a party, I'm almost certainly with these three boys.  :-)  Cindy's house was FILLED with people.  There was an American (from Alabama, of all places), a British guy and I think three Dutch people, a man from Sudan, a Surinamese woman, and a zillion Indonesian girls.  The Indonesian girls made TONS AND TONS of amazing amazing Indonesian food, and we had an amazing feast.  So much food, so much Wonderfully tasty food!

It was a really wonderful party.  We sat and talked and talked about EVERY thing from global warming to arranged marriage to, and I'm not making this up, midget tossing (which is apparently a sport in this ridiculous country...and I thought Zwarte Piet was bad....)  We laughed so hard we cried, and we even sat in silence for 5 min just to see who would break first.

At 2:30am, Jan and Walter and I mounted up and rode through the FUH-REEZING full-moon lit night.  I just love these boys.  Jan wants to link our novels, which I find just too cool.  In his third book, his main character descends into the underworld, and he wants him to see Janie leading someone.  :-)

Wow, what a long post. :-)

No comments: