Thursday, December 11, 2008

Semester Over

At last.  My classes for the semester are over!  Today has been rather dull.  Last Egyptian class, then I sat in the Public Library with Silvia all day and read a ton of articles about Egyptian funerary texts.  I found it pretty amazing.  Then mastaba class, and back to the library where I was considering doing more work, but I think I might just read instead.

The semester is over, but I still have two exams, a project and two papers to write.  No rest for the weary.

I'm frustrated though, because all I really want to do is write, but when I sit down to do it nothing comes out the way it should.  Such is the life of a writer, I suppose.  My story is going well, and I even have an outline for the entire first half.  But, the actual writing is slow.  C'est la vie, I suppose.

In related news, there's a debate going on over at Neil Gaiman's Blog about freedom of speech and fighting for the right of speech you don't really agree with, and I find it all rather interesting.  And sort of scary.  You may have  to do a bit of scrolling, but, well, Gaiman is pretty interesting anyway.  

That's where I found this -->

Ok, after I saved this, I discovered there was a book sale at the selfsame library in which I had set up camp. Soooo, I bought a bunch of books.  

My haul: 
  • Boeken van de Goden I: Ouverture (Books of the Gods I: Overtures: Collection of fantasy short stories in Dutch by Dutch fantasy writers!  Cool!)
  • Ver Voorbij het Diepe Woud (Beyond the Deepwood: A children's book, also in Dutch, also about fantasy stuff.  Fairies and trolls, and all sorts of cool forest spirits.)
  • Heksen en Heksenprocessen (Witches and Witch Trials: A history of witch trials.  In Dutch!)
  • Midsummer Night's Dream (English, I just haven't read it since high school, and was thinking about it recently)
  • A collection of plays by Oscar Wilde (Including, but not limited to: An Ideal Husband, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Other Plays I've Never Hear Of)
Lolpod:  It rained on me quite heavily on my way home from the library.  They've been doing construction on the sidewalk outside of our building, and have ripped up most of the bricks.  To keep us from getting our little Dutch toes muddy, they put a plank over the mud.  However, at some point today, they dug a little ditch that falls about 3ft down into the mud, and is about 1.5ft across.  So now, we have a moat!  

I was standing on the plank, looking into the muddy water (that I probably could have stepped over, since the "moat" is kind of skinny) and because I was extremely excited about the concept of having a moat I said, out loud,"Whoa! We have a moat!!"  As I was chuckling to myself about how childlike I sounded, I turned to find a guy walking over the drawbridge, such as it is, laughing at me.  I didn't realize there was anyone else in the world, much less just behind me on the drawbridge!  Oops!  

I'm sort of surprised he actually laughed and didn't just stare at me like I had two heads.  That's the normal response I get for my lolpods.  Ingrates. :-P

No comments: