Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sunshine So Good for the Soul

Ah.  Warmth.  And sunlight.  My soul batteries are officially recharged.  :-)

They always say time flies when you're having fun, but I don't know anymore.  I always feel like the more I do in a day that makes me happy, the more likely I am to come home and say "Wow, I can't believe it's still so early!"  If I sit around doing nothing, being bored, it's always suddenly time to go to bed again.  With nothing to show for being awake.  

I managed to get a bank account, sorta.  The bank was actually too busy to schedule me for an appointment in the next three weeks or so, so the guy told me he'd go ahead and do it for me in his free time. :-)  I was extremely pleased with myself because I did the whole thing in Dutch.  After I told the guy I wanted to open an account, he asked if I was an international student or a Dutch student!  Woo!  When I told him I was American he asked how I could speak such good Dutch! ("Hoe kan dat?" = "How can that be?") Another notch in my belt of people not being able to tell I'm American!  Ha!  (I save the notches of people mistaking me as a native speaker of their language for my bedpost.  I have a few Germans, a Dutchman (I'm totally counting the bank guy) a Greek or two (but only because I could say 'thank you' convincingly,) and an Italian (and he gave me a free key chain because he thought I was from his hometown!) :-D )

I then went on the search for "The Audacity of Hope" Barack Obama's book, and bought it when I found it.  I was also looking for McCain's book "Faith of my Fathers" but, um,  no one had it.  Do they not carry it?  Or was it sold out?  Hmm.  When I worked at Borders I really wanted to check these guys out, (including Hilary's book, whatever it was called) but never got around to it. (I had a whole bookstore at my disposal!)  One of my favorite customer stories comes from these books.

At the check-out we had a little politics display that had a book by each of the hopefuls (Hillary was still around at this point) and little stuffed donkeys and elephants.  On this particular day, all the elephants were sold out, and the donkeys were set out in a pleasing, and symmetrical arrangement.  So, this woman comes up to my register to buy her books.  She was unassuming, her books were boring, normal; not even Oprah book club books, just books.  As I scanned her choices, she stepped over to the display, and very carefully scooted Obama and Clinton closer together, and set McCain over in his own little area.  She then took all the donkeys and set them in front of (thus obscuring) the other books and murmured to herself "Let's just put all the asses together."  !! :-D  I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing.  She was just so calm and boring about it all.  This was not a move of passion or disgust, just very simply the way things needed to be arranged in her mind.  Hee!  I love Brentwood.

In other news, my camera charger arrived (along with 3 freakin bottles of my favorite body wash (which you can't buy here)  Moms rock!  haha)  So, now I have a fully charged camera!  Woot!  I also found a few pictures of last summer of me and the boys (minus Jon, but including Glen) playing putt putt golf.  I also found a video of this man who lived at Barclay house diving in the pool.  Every evening at 7pm he would put on his huge goggles and swim laps.  He was probably in his 70s or so, and just the coolest guy.  And he would do these awesome dives where his feet would reach up to the sky and very slowly sink down.  Heather and I lived for 7pm.  And I have video.  :-)  

I'd like to add a new addition to my blog, namely the Thing That Made Me Laugh Out Loud in Public of The Day!  So

The Thing That Made Me Laugh Out Loud in Public of The Day (hereafter Lolpod):  I was locking up my bike and I saw a tiny ant scrambling around.  I'm obsessed with ants (all hive critters, really) so I watched him for a bit.  Some other small insect had lost a wing at some point, and my little ant thought that would make a fine dinner for his compatriots since it was 5 times his size.  So he grabbed it and scuttled off on his way.  At just that moment a gust of wind burst down the street, and my tiny friend became airborne for a few seconds, flying a good 4  inches (10cm) before coming in for a landing.  He sort of freaked out, in that frantic ant way, then he picked up his dinner and scuttled on.  :-)

No comments: