Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mini-Rant and An Awesome Day

Before I go off into the awesomeness of my day, I'd like to put in my opinion on some recent news.  The photo you see is of 15-year old Cennet Dogonay (thanks BBC for the photo!) She's a French Muslim who decided to shave her head to protest a ban on headscarves and other "religious symbols" in French schools.  She is quoted as saying: "I will respect both French law and Muslim law by taking off what I have on my head and not showing my hair."  Also in recent BBC news is a story about another French woman banned from a swimming pool because of her burkini.

I find this to be the height of insulting. I understand that the intention behind this ban is to minimize the tension between various religious and ethnic groups.  I think that's quite a noble goal, but I'm dismayed by the way it's being carried out!  To foster understanding and respect across religions, you must SHARE, and EDUCATE, not hide.  Pretending that everyone is all the same, or that no one has religion is, in my opinion, the exact OPPOSITE of helpful!  

I'm also deeply disappointed in the state of women's rights in Europe.  The West gets quite high and mighty when it comes to women's rights, but, frankly, it seems they have a LONG way to go.  I agree completely that a woman shouldn't be forced into a burka, shouldn't be forced to cover herself by a government or society of men.  But, why, please someone tell me why is it OK for her to be FORCED to uncover a part of herself she sees as private?!  If a woman considers her hair to be unsuitable to be seen in public it is her RIGHT as a woman to cover it!  Anything else is criminal!  If she considers her left ear to be private, let her cover it!  It's simply distressing to me that forcing a woman to cover herself is considered oppressive, but forcing her to uncover herself is seen as freedom.  Ack!  When will we WOMEN be the ones who are TRULY in control of our bodies?!!?!

Ok, rant over.  :-)  

Today was a very productive and wonderful day.  I woke up pretty early and moved some more things to my new apartment.  Discovered that while the streets around my apartment are named after Indonesian islands, the streets near the mosque (there's a mosque in my neighborhood, by the way, with a very nice minaret with beautiful blue and white tile) are named after Caribbean islands!!  I knew I'd live in the islands someday, but I wasn't expecting to be so close so soon!  Hee hee hee.

I went shopping too.  Got one or two things for Egypt since I gotta get some weather and culture appropriate things.  I have Dutch-weather appropriate modest clothing, but nothing long and modest and cool.  :-)  Mostly, though, I was looking for furniture and such.  Finally found a desk set, a bedside table, and a bed (complete with matress!) all for just over €100!  I go tomorrow to pick them up.  Still not real sure how I'm going to do that since I have no car and it's just Koos and me....  Ah well, Inshallah, we'll get by.

In the afternoon I met up with Koos in Wassenaar, and did some amazing caching in the dunes.  We only managed to find two (Koos found 8 in all today) but we had a great time.  Perfect weather, GORGEOUS forests, perfect.  Dutch forests are some of the most amazingly beautiful in the world.  Especially the ones on the dunes.  Man, nature is one of my most favorite things about this country.

On the way back we stopped at a pizza place to grab some food.  Ran into an American there from South Carolina.  He's getting a PhD in Ancient Hebraic theology.  So yeah, we could chat!  :-)  I'll probably see him in the NINO too!  Love this world.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Just wanted to second the good point you made about freedom of what you wear. I also appreciate the passion in the statement and fully agree that there is some serious hypocrisy going on. It's all about uniting, not dividing...

So now I can congratulate you on getting an awesome new bed for cheap money. Also, the streetnames, just fantastic :D

Take care,
Rob