Saturday, June 21, 2008

High Atop Kilimanjaro

Amelia has informed me that there have been tumble weeds here on the plains of South Blogonia.  Sorry.  I've been too busy trying to eke out some living space in my flat that I haven't had a chance to post.  The place is getting close to livable now!  I didn't have any drawers, so my mother, who is brilliant, suggested I get a bunch of baskets to put my stuff in.  Now my bookshelf is gorgeous.  Multi-colored baskets.  I even have a huge red basket for the top of my closet with my scarves and dance clothes.  Ten times better.

I've nicknamed my bed Kilimanjaro because it it literally 10 ft off the floor.  I'm currently trying to come up with a good nickname for my room.  Any suggestions?  I don't want it to be anything too depressing.  I've thought about "The Cage" or "The Closet"  but those are too obviously complain-y.  I want something witty and subtle, like "The Bat Cave" or "Lichtenstein."  So, my friends, please let me know if you can think of a good, tongue-in-cheek, not-too-depressing nickname for my 10ft by 10ft flat.

I have met some friends though.  I was peacefully napping when I heard voices outside in the hall.  I stuck my head out and found a group of three chatting.  There was Keith who lives across the hall.  48.  London.  Astrophysicist.  Also Elena, 20-something, Greek, Far Eastern Linguist.  And Rob, 20-something, North Carolina, Lawyer.  I stepped out in the hall and chatted with them for a while, and then we all went outside and drank some wine.  On Keith's terrace.  Keith and Rob both have HUUUUGE apartments.  Like, literally 3 times the size of mine.  Maybe 4.  And they have terraces that open into the courtyard.  They only pay about $150 more than I do.  Bum.  Elena apparently pays what I do, but her apartment is %50-%75 bigger than mine.  I'm thinking of complaining.  

The place is growing on me, though.  Just not literally.  Too bad.

Last night I went to a party.  A German girl and her Danish boyfriend of 8 years got married a few weeks ago and they had a Hey-We're-Married party.  I met some fun folks.  Greeks, Czechs, Germans.  I think I'm going to have entirely too much fun here soon.  :-D

Today we went to the market.  Saturday is market day, and the city comes out.  Keith, my British neighbor took mom and me to see it.  The market lines the canal around the corner.  In true market fashion they sell everything from produce to shampoo and back again.  Also fresh fish, which is something this land locked girl just doesn't get enough of.  Mom and Keith and I wandered, and then mom and I set off on our own to get dinner for tomorrow (everything is closed on Sunday) and to get the aforementioned baskets.  We spent the day shopping and people watching.  I think today was the first day we were both good and rested.  We've both been a bit snippy but today we had a lot of fun.  Dinner and ice cream.

Here's a band we saw playing during the market.  :-)


Now we're chillin in my kitchen-corner listening to the neighbors watch the Netherlands-Russia match.  I think listening to the neighbors is probably just as fun as watching the match itself.  There are also fireworks, or at least explosions, but we don't know what that means.  :-)  Tomorrow is Sunday, which means nothing will be open, and it's supposed to rain anyway.  We might go to church since there's a really cool one across the street and mom wants to hear religious Dutch.  So, until I find time to blog again... pictures can be found on Facebook.

1 comment:

Solstice said...

Fortress of Solitude? :)