Monday, June 30, 2008

A Special Burn on Sunsets

Ever notice how people who go to Africa always have their picture taken with bunches of African children?  (And then they make that their Facebook profile pic?)  It makes me wonder if the airports hire children to stand around for photo ops for tourists.  

But that's neither here nor there.

Today I wore a headscarf and red lipstick.  Not for any particular reason (though the lipstick did match the scarf rather well.)  And I got looked at a bunch on the street.  Not in the "holy weirdness, why is she wearing a headscarf" sort of way.  There are A LOT of Muslims around.  Head coverings of all sorts are normal.  I think I was just rockin it.  :-)

I sat on the hill by the fort for a while and worked on some Egyptian.  It was such a beautiful day.  Sunny and warm, with only a slight breeze.  Perfect. 

I've noticed that this time it's harder.  Moving around has never been a problem for me.  Loneliness is the major problem, and I have always cherished it.  Loneliness has always been my favorite teacher.  But it's getting harder.  Maybe because I've been so isolated for the past year.  Maybe because I got such a wonderful taste of being with people while I was in K-town.  I mean, really being with people.  Not just having fun with friends, but really really loving them.  The painful love as well as the pleasant.  As much as I still look forward to the lessons of solitude, I feel a deep sense of separation and a longing to have people near.  Don't read this as depression.  I'm not sad.  Just missing those who are far from me who I would have near.

In other news, I made lentil soup today which was AWESOME despite a tomato crisis early in the game.  This is me changing.  I may never be like Megan who can McGyver up the best meal ever out of turnips and gumdrops, but I will never again consider myself inept in the kitchen.

"Here I sit between my brother, the mountain, and my sister, the sea.  We three are one in  loneliness and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange." --Khalil Gibran

1 comment:

Megan Adair said...

That's a powerful take on loneliness. It makes me want to explore it more instead of just whining. ;)

I miss Kahlil Gibran, however his name is spelled (wikipedia has it both ways... confusing).

Congratulations on your meal!