Monday, November 30, 2009

Wadi Degla and Today


Sunday. Koos, Brenda, and Gui and I headed out into the desert for some geocaching. It took us a bit of hassle to get there since our cab driver had NO clue what we were talking about. But finally, we arrived, and it was breath taking.

If you ever come to Egypt, go there. The Wadi Degla Protectorate. It's a nature preserve, a huge swath of desert, 30km in all I think. Of course, we barely saw 3km of it. But what we saw was brilliant.

We managed to find four caches. Finally, a few good caches in Egypt! One even had a beautiful wooden box instead of the more traditional plastic container. Found a nice present for my mom in there too. ;-)

We climbed rocks and hills and played in dust so thick that it felt like snow under your feet. We lunched, and cached, and enjoyed the view, and even met an Egyptian or two there for a long weekend of camping. I'd like to go back and spend some time there. They have camping, and a really nice visitor's center. Deep in the desert you can even see critters. :-)

We came home, and we ate, and we napped. Then we met with Quentin and Sandra at Pottery for a drink and some socializing. A very good day and a very nice evening too.

Today, unfortunately, I spent in the library working. I have a presentation to give on site in Amarna and Tuna el-Gebel next week. My project, the Boundary Stelae of Akhenaten, is extremely difficult. There are 14 stelae in all, scattered over the whole region, and most of them are badly damaged. The trouble really is that they are really only handled in detail in one publication, and it's scattered and confusing. Nothing is clear. Actually, the clearest information I've gotten so far has come from Wikipedia.

The evening was dedicated to ice cream, and a show called Castle, with Koos. I also got my first trackable, a little turtle I've named Ptolemy. His goal is to travel the world and get his picture taken with Egyptian things. :-) Check him out here: Ptolemy. :-D

No comments: