Saturday, March 7, 2009

Aah, Spring!

I think Spring is on its way! The days have taken on that indescribable taste of Spring. The air is different. Alive again. Still cold. Nothing has changed, really. Except, it has!

This morning I woke up to the sun shining in my window! And it stayed sunny all day! Really windy, but sunny! Julia is in town for the weekend, so I met up with her and we had lunch at Coffee Star, and chatted. Then we walked around town for a bit, and finally stopped in at Ilaria's for a surprise tea' :-) I'm glad to have my friend back in town for a bit! Later we stopped by Maneer Jansen, a bar in town, (Janos came too) and had a few drinks and talked and laughed.

I've also been reading a Dutch book called Onrust (Unrest) by a man-wife team called Escober. It started off a bit dull, sort of surprisingly. I mean, the book has a bit of everything. There are a ton of threads, different characters, a man, his wife, his almost but not quite lover, her almost but not quite lover, the man next door, the band members, the mysterious lone gunman, the Russian mob. Man. But I was just sort of unimpressed at first. Too many stories that had nothing to do with each other. Until about chapter 9, then the whole damn thing EXPLODES and I found myself literally screaming at the characters, "What?" "Oh, God, NO" Phew. The great thing is, I have NO idea where this book might be going next. I'm half way through, and unlike EVERY OTHER THRILLER EVER, I am still completely in the dark about the motives and the possible outcomes. The great bit is, the narrative is told from the 3rd omniscent perspective, so you actually get to look into the characters heads. You know what everyone feels and thinks, just not all the time. It's wild, and I'm pleasantly surprised. :-)

Tomorrow is market day with Julia! :-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spring is comming as you said and it's exciting!
I hope you will start a very special spring this year, filled with joy and happiness!

Enjoy your book Leila jan.
:)