Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Freedom is Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose

I think it must have been the Facebook status appeal to Thoth, the Egyptian god of hieroglyphs, to please please help me, but I think I just might have passed my exam this morning!

Then a breath of warm, dry air came to me from Morrocco (by way of Spain) and I realized everything is going the way it needs to go.  I feel better.  I still feel a little bit adrift, but the seas are calm now, and I can finally lie back and just follow where these waters are taking me.

My next adventure starts in July.  I'm applying for the Cambridge English language teaching certificate courses here in the Netherlands.  After that, my next academic undertaking starts in October.  I'm also applying for a masters in Teaching English Language Learners.  I've struggled with this a lot in the past few weeks.  Giving up on a dream to pursue something I'm not sure of.  But, I realized today that this is what I want.  I realized today, as I easily translated texts that had me baffled just a few months ago, that I have learned a lot in the past weeks.  But I also realized that the main reason I was able to translate so easily was that I just didn't care if I passed or not.  The pressure was gone.  

I realized today, or rather, I admitted to myself today that my days of formally studying Egyptology are over.  This is a sorrow and a joy.  Today I feel free.  :-)

I've spent the rest of the day with Koos, reading and watching Pushing Daisies and Avatar, eating fruit and drinking lots of tea (rooibos, of course.)  There was even a storm!  Not a real storm, but pretty impressive for Europe.  We went to the roof to watch, and even managed to catch a glimpse of a fork or two before the rain started in ernest.  Hail and wind.  Life as it's being lived.

The Dutch wind swirls my hair around my shoulders, but I don't feel the cold, the ice. I feel the sunlight and colors of Morocco, of Africa, of Life and Love in the wind.

No comments: