Monday, January 12, 2009

Pacing the Cage

Another day waiting for answers.  Everyone keeps telling me to relax and let it come.  So I'm doing just that.  I went to talk to my professor today about my exams.  To pass you need a 5.  I got a 2.3 and a 4.9.  4.9!!  I wish I could upper case numbers!  That means that in addition to the five classes I have next semester, I'll have to memorize the transliterations and the translations of all the texts we did in class.  For both classes.  

I had decided to hang it all up and go home.  But then I got an e-mail about an apartment.  And it's amazing!  22 m2.  Huge windows, lots of light, only 2 flat mates (who were both knitting when I came in), washer, dryer, dish washer, light, gas, water.  Half a block from the store.  Just a few blocks away from school.  Just down the street from where I live now (no crazy moving trip, close to my friends in the building).  All for only €390.  I just don't know.

I have to tell the girl by the end of the week.  She's leaving soon and is desperate.  That's a problem since I don't know that I'll have a decision by then!  Is this apartment a sign?  Gah.

All I can do is focus on wrapping up last semester.  I have a few papers to complete, and Coptic to learn.  I wish I could use Coptic as my yard stick; if I pass I stay, if I don't, I just go.  But the exam isn't until the 20th, which would leave me apartmentless if I stayed, with only a few days to get a new place.  Yargh.

Oh, Inflectional Paradigms of Sahidic Tense-Aspect-Mood Markers, how you vex me.

Sometimes the best map will not guide you
You can't see what's around the bend
Sometimes the road leads through dark places
Sometimes the darkness is your friend
--Pacing the Cage, Jimmy Buffett

No comments: