After a dinner at Eazie, the boys and I met up with Pim at Proost and played 10 rediculous games of pool. Out of 10 only three were won by the winning team hitting the black ball in. The rest were won by the losing team (Pim and Jan) hitting the black ball in. Oh well, we had a lot of fun anyway.
Came home and watched Stardust with Koos. Another Neil Gaiman novel turned film that was much closer to the book than imagined. Stardust is a GREAT novel, but it is NOT a children's book. It's dark, very dark. Good, but dark. The movie wasn't that dark, and I was afraid it wouldn't capture the book quite right. And there was some darkness taken out, and some sex, but I noticed that in the place of certain violence, more (different, more casual) violence was added in, and there was plenty of sex, though quite different from the book sex. Interesting film.
The ending is TOTALLY different from the book, (though still good) so don't not read the book because you might see the film. In both cases, the book is WAY better.
In other news: My professor now wants me to stay in the program. He pulled me aside today and told me I was quite talented and quite bright, said he knew I had just gotten a bad start, but that now I was really getting it, and that it was a pity that I couldn't stay on. Great. I'll be e-mailing the head of the department to chat with him. My professor already has, apparently, which is interesting. I'll see what they can offer. I am remembering the joy in all of this... sigh.
Also, yesterday and today were both perfect weatherwise, and I played with baby ducks, and laid in the sun on Koos' terrace and drank mead. Thank you.

1 comment:
how every once in a while your worries and plans to defeat them are turned into dust by a changing situation... cool of them to realize you're bright ;)
Hope Coraline comes here soon!
Post a Comment