Saturday, May 23, 2009

Night Caching

Spent the day working on Sinuhe (only 3.5 pages to go!!) and helping Koos solve geocaching puzzles.  Well, more or less.  Some of those things are HARD.
I went to a belly dance class, which promises to be more fun than most of the classes I've taken.  In my experience, belly dance classes are either an opportunity for the teacher to wiggle, or the same exercises every week.  This class is a choreography, so there's some wiggle room, if you will.  The other girls are all beginners, so I'm not sure yet if it's the best teaching strategy, but I think everyone will have fun.  Which is the point, really.

At 9pm Koos came over and told me to dress warmly, and in dirty jeans.  We then cycled to his friend, Milli's house and went night caching with her, her son, and his friend.  We drove to Den Haag and went treasure hunting in the woods on the dunes.  For a night cache, you follow a path of little reflective pins stuck in trees (we are assured that this causes only minimal, non dangerous damage to the tree) to a little hidden box.  When you find the box, you sign a log book, and exchange trinkets, and life is good. 

It was a lot of fun, too!  Tromping around a dark, sandy forest, the wind and the ocean in your ears, searching the night for little pinpricks of light no one else sees.  Awesome.  There were some pretty freaky trees that had been taken over by caterpillars.  Leafless things, with webs and yellow worms squirming.  Apparently, the caterpillars have a poisonous fur, so if you touch them, you get a little itchy rash.  This makes them the most dangerous wild animal in the forest, according to Milli.  There are no bobcats or coyotes or bears or rattlesnakes in Holland.

In other news:  What is this a picture of?  It's supposed to be something very common, and once you see it there should be no doubt as to what it is.  (Like you won't say: "Hmm, could be a woman lying in a tiny tent."  You'll just KNOW.)  

I don't have the solution, so if you figure it out, let me know.  I've stared at it for hours!

No comments: