Ok, so, the week. Monday was my last Egyptian class. The prof urged me yet again to contact the department head about my program, so on Wednesday, after my last Egyptian art history class, I did. We'll be meeting next Thursday to discuss it. But he said "Let's find a way for you to stay." So. There.
Tuesday was dedicated to translating Sinuhe.
Yesterday, I had my CELTA interview-exam in Amsterdam. Terrifying, in short. I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but all hope is not lost, I think. I'll find out tomorrow.
I also had an interesting conversation with Robert yesterday that was painful in someways, but very much needed. It was like shining a light on a shadowy text I couldn't quite make out in the dark. Perhaps I'll write more on that if I can untangle these things.
Last night Koos and I went to a party at Susanne's place. Had a really great time, and thought I'd have to fight all the girls in the room for Koos. Hahaha.
Today's excitement: I keep a pitcher of water on my desk. This keeps me from drinking excessive amounts of fruit juice, and keeps me hydrated. However, today, as I was enjoying the sun pouring into my window, this pitcher became a recipe for some very unexpected disaster. To make a long story short: the sun shining through my water pitcher caught my Sinuhe translation on fire!! I managed to stop this from becoming a major problem, but my notes now have a nice black hole through them for quite a few pages. Haha.
Glad I was there! And from now on the pitcher will live in a spot of my desk that gets no sunlight. Ever.

2 comments:
I have been wanting to comment on this since I read it, because being a soldier attacking a child is a picture I could not shake easily. Maybe you can tell me what you make of it. I hope I don't symbolize aggression more often (unless in a strange mix with gentleness)...
Actually, what struck me about your role in the dream was the moments after you dragged the boy away. I had been listening to him crying about the pains of his past, and though the soldier pulled him from me (to protect me, not to hurt the boy for fun or pleasure) afterwards, the soldier, you, listened to his sorrows just as gently and intently as I had. I was most struck by how the situation was not what it appeared. It looked like a soldier dragging a boy away to hurt him, but when I looked closer, it was just you, protecting me, and caring for the boy.
It would seem things are not always what they seem.
Post a Comment