I'm going to start focusing this blog on the magical stuff that happens to me daily, rather than just the stuff that happens. I'll update the important stuff, but the magical will take precedence over the mundane.Monday's magic took the form of major thunderstorms. This is not something that happens often in Holland. I stood on Koos' terrace, and watched the lightning striking the sea far away. I could see the storm approaching, and I sat in silence and let it overtake me. Lightning everywhere, thunder growing louder, and then suddenly wind so strong it threatened to carry me away with it, rain so hard I was soaked through almost the moment it started falling. I leaned against the wind, and felt the storm pulling on my hair, my face, my skirt, and just breathed in the wildness and the power of it. I was terrified.
Later, around 4am, I was woken by the wind and the rain and flashing lights in the sky. Like a strobe light, almost silent, only occasional bursts of thunder, but truly awesome. Trees fell.
I went to yoga Monday afternoon, and on the way I found another 13 playing cards. Literally, 13 of them! (5 of spades, 4 of diamonds, 3 of clubs, 10 of clubs, 2 of clubs, 9 of clubs, queen of clubs, king of spades, 10 of spades, 7 of spades, 7 of diamonds, 3 of hearts, ace of diamonds.) Wild, really. I found a tarot spread and attempted to interpret them, haha. I suppose there were some truths there.
I've missed the dance of the gods. Glad they walked abroad this week.
In other news: I took the GRE yesterday. Gotta do it if you want to go to grad school in the States, and I might. Got an 1160, (680 verbal, 480 math) which I'm happy with. I know it's not as good as I could have done, but since I didn't do one minute's worth of preparation, I'm pleased. SUPER pleased with the math; haven't done math (more complicated than calculating a tip) since 2003, I think. Go me. :-D

2 comments:
I am all for magic! And for standing in thunderstorms. There are few things as cleansing to the soul.
I just watched Michelle Obama talk about education. She said that nothing in where she started pointed to where she is today. In retrospect still every little decision contributed to it. That is the real magic :) Go Amy!
I just (magically) found this article and think I am meant to share it with you. I hope it does not encourage you to try getting hit by lightning ^^ http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/27/lightning-strike-tri.html
Post a Comment