I'm traveling again, and it feels great. I came to Belgium yesterday with Jennifer, to spend a few days relaxing, and to get a new perspective on my work. So far it has been a wonderful trip. Jennifer and I worked all morning on our own work, the perfect mixture of concentration and distraction.
Around 1pm I decided to head out in to Gent to see what there was to see. It was a beautiful and sunny spring day, and I felt better than I have in months. There's something so relaxing about the warm sun on your shoulders. I wandered through the medieval part of town, and finally found a café where I could drink some fancy coffee (cookie macchiato) and watch the Belgians go by. They seem to smile a lot more than the Dutch. Maybe it was the beautiful weather today.
On the way home from my wanderings, I passed through a great park filled with young people enjoying the day. A group of guys even included me in their football game! And another group waved to me as I took a photo of the park. It's so refreshing to be around open people again. Perhaps I've had a strange experience, but I've never seen such lighthearted people in Holland. Makes me like Belgium even more. Especially the sing-song cadence of the language!
Spent the evening playing games and making up stories with Kaja (using the pictures on an Isis Tarot deck, of all things) and enjoying the energy and magic of a 4 year old girl. Also her incredible mix of languages (English, German, and two dialects of Dutch!!)
In other news: There's a possibility that I might maybe make it back to Egypt again before too long. Maybe. There's a dig coming up that needs helpers, so our group leader from Cairo sent the people in my program an email telling us to apply. I'm absolutely thrilled at the possibility, and I've already started thinking of how to write my Letter of Motivation. Who knows if I'll get a position, but I really really hope I might!!

No comments:
Post a Comment