Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunday 7.March.10

Talking to the dead
Sunlight pointing out their names
Spring brings life to all

Beautiful day so I decided to go Walkabout. Hung out in the cemetery nearby. The Dutch have one of the coolest relationships to the dead that I've ever seen. Their tombstones are amazing. The newer ones are all unique, and personalized. You often even find pictures of the deceased. The families also leave behind the coolest stuff. Only the really old plots are bare. The rest are filled will little candles and flowers, and adorable statues of birds and other critters. You often find feathers and beads too, and the infant graves are filled with amazing toys, shells, even a windchime now and then. People also sometimes leave letters for the dead. I saw one yesterday, that was a framed picture of a little girl, and the letter was addressed to the deceased, and talked about the little girl (the granddaughter of the dead) and how the mother wishes her mother could be there to see her. Incredible!

No comments: