In the library today
Talked about Zeshin
The Tea Master is a Surinamese guy I met a week or so ago at a Zen Open House. The local Zen temple had a day of interesting classes and invited everyone to come. So I went! The Tea Master was there to teach us about traditional tea ceremonies. He's a very cool guy, very funny and laid back, and so when I saw him in the library today, I just had to say hi. It turned into a very cool, and rather long conversation. He told me that Zeshin, the monk I met at the Open House, just decided one day to leave his home in Katwijk and go to Japan. He sat on the steps of a monastery there, and just kept sitting there, even after the monks tried to run him off, until they let him in. :-) The last line of today's first haiku was almost Talked about his beard because the Tea Master speaks excellent Chinese, and looks Chinese enough that when he's with Chinese speakers they think he is Chinese. However, once he really gets to talking, his grammar often falls apart, and Chinese people think he's sort of crazy. He says once he grew a beard, they all just assume he's a foreigner, and are thus VERY impressed with his Chinese skills. :-)
In wintertime here
We all wear too much clothing
No one has a neck
Cold and cloudy today, and I observed that most people have to turn their whole bodies just to look around. Who's ready for Spring? Only 12 more days....

No comments:
Post a Comment