Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Gods are Smiling: Here's Your Sign

So, I'm 25 now.  A quarter of a century behind me.  To me this seems significant, not because I'm afraid I'm getting old, but because it seems like a phase has ended a new phase of my life has begun.  This is a positive thing.  I want to mark it in some way.  Do something special that I will remember.  

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and I've decided to write my autobiography.  From the beginning of my life (in Africa)  to now.  Here's my reasoning:  Why wait until I'm 60 or 70 or older to write my life's story?  Why wait until I'm so far distanced from my youth that I can only write about it through the perspective of a complete stranger?  Everything will change, there's no doubt, and the way I look at the places I've stumbled and the places I've flown will change too.  The ones who have filled and/or broken my heart will land on the pages as completely different people when I am happily married with 3 children than they would now.  So this is my plan: to write my life up to now, as I see it now, at 25.  Perhaps I'll write another history when I'm 50, to fill in the spaces between now and then.  (Though maybe every 10 or 15 years would be better.)

As I fell asleep last night I decided where I would start today: the transition between high school and college.  There are lots of similarities between now and then.  And then, this morning, as if by divine providence, I checked to see if FreeWillAstrology had posted the horoscopes for the week.  It had:  

Libra (September 23-October 22)
Please spend some time in the coming week meditating on the epic tale of your life journey. Why? Because it would be an excellent time for you to begin writing your autobiography. Don't tell me you're afraid that such a project would be presumptuous. The way I see it, the planets are aligned in such a way as to suggest that you now have extra insight about the big picture of your destiny. So I hope you will at least create an outline of the story you will eventually put down in words, complete with predictions of what will be unfolding for you five years from today, and ten years, and 15 years. 
www.freewillastrology.com

Seriously.  I just sort of stared at the computer screen for a moment, then I burst out laughing!  I never realized I had this much power over the Universe (or that It had this much power over me!)  Who needs to beg the Muses for their help, when they're practically screaming at you to do your work?!  Could it be any clearer?!  :-D  

So, with the toil of my heart and my hand blessed by the gods, I continued through an extremely happy day.  Sunshine and warmth.  I mailed in my absentee voter form!  I voted!  I have fulfilled my patriotic duty.  (Please remember, the gods are smiling upon me today....)  Had Coptic, which was hilarious as usual.  Then I went to the Lipsius building and wrote for a few hours.  :-)  

An old friend (if I may call someone I met in June an "old friend",) Fabio (Italy) was also in Lipsuis, so we had dinner and chatted, and I told him about my work.  He seemed really excited about the idea, and said he'd been thinking of starting up a blog.  So we talked about blogs, and about life, and everything was great.  Then I went off to my ISN meetings, and now I'm home, exhausted, but happy.

Lolpod:  An older couple was walking down the street holding hands, both huge and sort of square shaped.  They were too overweight to walk properly, so they sort of waddled.  They were holding hands, and walking perfectly in step, right foot, left foot, perfectly in time, both of them swaying, almost like a dance.  They both seemed so happy, too, smiling and laughing, and swaying in time to the other.  :-D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would read it even if Oprah did not make it a book of the month club entry. Which would really show what she knows! come on oprah honey, you know I didn't mean it. gimme a car now, please?

Robert said...

Wow, you really are in harmony with life now :) So fine to see that! I hope I will get to read that book some day. May you have a great mind-journey through times past, present and future. That freewillastrology is amazing!
Be happy, a hug, Rob

Amy Sun said...

Alhamduillah, apparently I am pretty well in harmony with life! And don't worry, you'll all be able to read it.

That is, if the stores don't sell out immediately once Oprah mentions it on her show! ;-)