Sunday, October 5, 2008

Happiness

I dreamt last night that I got a new apartment.  It was extremely small, but it was located above a Buddhist temple.  I think this is a good omen.  :-)

Today has been wonderful.  I woke up lazy, and drank some coffee in peace.  I gathered my stuff to head to the Plexus to do some work, and stepped out on to the balcony to check the temperature.  Laura and Matteo had their curtains open, and they waved to me, opened the door, let me in.  They were having a breakfast party!  They had invited a few friends over, and had their desk filled with breakfast food, and cakes and cookies.  Coffe, tea, orange juice.  So, I stayed.  :-)

It was raining outside, and inside it was warm and beautiful.  Arianna (Italy) was there.  I met her during the 3.October festivities.  She studied here last year, and came back to visit.  I also met Sangbreeta (India) and Filipo (Italy.)  We had a great time watching You Tube videos, and talking, and laughing.  I think I'll be hanging out with these guys again. :-)  

I came back to my room and worked on Coptic for a few hours.  Then I translated some more of the Lebensgeschichte des Weni.  I feel like I got quite a bit done today, though it just never seems like enough.  Oh well, I can rest easy knowing I was able to focus.  It helps that Coptic is so cool.  For example(I'll use Spanish for my example, since it shows gender and you can all read it anyway:) to say "mi madre" you would say "la-mi-madre" (only it's one word, so "lamimadre")  Love it!  This language does such weird stuff!

I also found two amazing songs today.  You should listen to them if you get a chance.  First of all we have "Our Hero (aka The Lotus Sutra Song)" by Greg Fain and Ben Gustin.  It's a folk song, almost bluegrass, about the Buddha.  Hee hee.  Secondly, there's "The Shotgun."  It's extremely popular in Iraq right now, and expresses the new hope of the country.  I found this one on NPR.  You need to read the article.  You can find the song on the site.  Check it out: "The Shotgun." by Hasam Al-Rasam.

Otherwise, I have a sore throat (too much partying in the rain, and not enough sleep!) so I've been wrapped up in a thick scarf, and my warm sweater, and my fuzzy brown house shoes, and I've been drinking amazing amounts of tea.  Lapsang Souchon, Autumn tea, Turkish Apple.  :-)  How can you argue with a day like today?  Rain, friends, new friends, food, tea, warmth, fun songs, hope, and rewarding hard work.  Le sigh.

This is true happiness.

I would never disparage you or keep you at arm's length
Where you only see your weaknesses, I only see your strength.
I would never despise you, or put you down in any way.
Because it's clear to me
I can plainly see
You'll be a buddha someday.
I love you.
--Greg Fain and Ben Gustin

No comments: