Sunday, February 22, 2009

Catching Up

Well, I haven't had too much opportunity to update in the past few days.  Life has been a little crazy, but in a great way.  Let's recap, shortly.  Tuesday night I went to Proost with Koos (South Africa) and we played pool with Carlos, and some other folks half the night.  The other half was spent drinking tea and listening to music at Hugo de Groot Straat.  

Since I didn't actually sleep Tuesday night, Wednesday was pretty much dedicated to doing that.  I feel like I probably got out of bed at some point, but I don't really remember what I might have done. :-)

Thursday I translated.  Friday was awesome.

Koos and Sangbreeta and I went to Amsterdam for dancing Friday night.  The dance was awesome, and afterwards everyone went over to George's (America) apartment for a late night blues party.  George's apartment is a dream.  It's in one of the tallest buildings in Amsterdam, and it's huge.  Hardwood floors.  Big windows that overlook the city, and the island.  Just gorgeous.  So everyone drank wine and danced and danced.  We were all exhausted, and my feet were killing me, but I just couldn't say no!  :-)  Around 5am, George drove Koos, Sangbreeta and me to the station and we came back to Leiden.  Which means I didn't hit a bed until 6:30 or so.  So, another night of no sleeping.

We were all supposed to go to Breda to celebrate the Carnival, but none of us made it.  The group met at 12:45, but since none of us got to sleep before 6:30, 12:45 seemed a bit early.  However, Koos and I went to the market around noon, and met up with Silvia who was in town visiting, and Janos.  So, we did the market.  Koos, who has lived here since September or October had NEVER been.  I ate kibbeling, which is little bits of fried fish.  At 4am I started craving kibbeling, and it was the first thing I wanted to eat when I woke up.  So, we got kibbeling and stroopwaffels, and went to the top of the V&D department store and watched the market.  It was a beautiful, sunny day, and the sun even had some warmth to it!

I had dinner with Koos, and took a 2 hour nap.  Then I met up with Silvia, Janos and Jason at an English pub in town, for drinks and conversation.  Then, back to bed.

My flat mate came in around 2am with some friends.  They weren't horribly loud, but it did wake me up, and then I got horribly confused because they were speaking a mixture of Arabic and Dutch, and it took me entirely too long to realize.  :-)

Today we had brunch over at Janos' (Silvia and Ilaria) and now I'm home, finally sort of rested, and trying to get some work done.  I'm also backing up all of my computer files, because my machine keeps making disturbing noises.  I don't want another computer to crash!

Next weekend I'm going to Belgium!

No comments: