Sunday, May 3, 2009

Serenity

Saturday: Went to the market, and the bank. Mailed in my CELTA application. Koos and I watched Serenity, the movie. It a) freaked me out, b) made me sad, and c) disappointed me. A) because of Reavers. B) I can't say. And C) because the things that made the show so amazing, were almost absent from the movie. The ship's captain, Mal, was always a dark character, but throughout, even in the darkest episodes, even when being tortured, and watching people die, he kept his humor and always had a witty dialougue. In the movie, he just seems to have given in to this inner darkness. (Ok, I'll make the concession that this could be due to the fact that Inara left, and perhaps even that circumstances themselves were getting pretty dang dark.) The great writing of the show seemed to have all but vanished. There were a few, minor, plot holes, but those I can disregard. Mainly, the movie felt like some Hollywood writer who happened to be a fan of Firefly decided to write his own, Hollywood-ized movie version, and then managed to get it produced. In the end, I liked the story itself ok, and accept, more or less, what happened. Still.

Then we watched a few episodes of Avatar so I wouldn't have bad dreams. :-P

Today: The sun was shining, but it was SO windy and therefore so cold, that I didn't really get much of a chance to enjoy it. I sat in the window and translated the Stele of Ichernofret. I have to say I much prefer the stories.

Koos and I went downstairs and fed the ducks. We sat in the grass next to the canal, and held out pieces of bread to the macks, and they came and took it out of our hands! There were 6 ducklings who came right up to us too. I picked one up briefly, just to feel his fuzzy, and tiny wet feet on my hands. Poor boy screamed and screamed, so I let him go. He was just too freaked out. Mama duck didn't seem to mind much, though. That was nice.

Koos and I just grilled using my tiny little grill. And we'll be watching more Avatar here in a bit. There's the same slow panic in my chest that has been chasing me for a while. I'm letting it flow. Things are happening the only way they can: the right way. :-)

Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Definitely have to agree on Serenity. They just had a totally different atmosphere in the movie. And how could they let the Shepherd die without telling his secret?! I guess they did the best they could for a movie format, it's just not the same :-/

Ducks are your spirit animals :D

Nothing to add to your last sentence!