Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Will Sail My Vessel, 'Til the River Runs Dry

"You can dream a little dream or you can live a little dream.  I'd rather live it! Cause dreamers always chase and never get it."  

"Look, I've never had a dream in my life, because a dream is what you wanna do, but still haven't pursued.  I knew what I wanted and did it 'til it was done.  So I've been the dream that I wanted to be since day one!"  --No Regrets, by Aesop Rock

No one ever tells you what to do once you've caught up with your dreams.  I've always been the dream I wanted to be.  I too, knew what I wanted and did it till it was done.  And now it's done.  

Ah, but dreams do change.  Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong.  What do I mean by my dream?  Something has ended, something is over, but was it really the dream?  I no longer want, or need to focus on the past.  But is that the end of the dream?  Was that ever the dream to begin with?

"You know a dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows.  And a dreamer's just a vessel that must follow where it goes. Trying to learn from what's behind you and never knowing what's in store makes each day a constant battle just to stay between the shores."  --The River, by Garth Brooks

My thoughts are changing even as I write!  What do I mean by dream?  Maybe the details need to be reformed, reorganized, restated.

My dream is to be a happy, healthy, helpful person.  I want to do something useful with my life, something that will benefit others.  I dream of seeing faraway places, and being at home wherever I go.  I want to see the beauty in everything, and bring in as much extra beauty as I can muster.  I look forward to a world where people have at least what's necessary to survive, and understand that we're all connected.

"And I will sail my vessel, 'til the river runs dry.  Like a bird upon the wind, these waters are my sky.  I'll never reach my destination if I never try.  So I will sail my vessel, 'til the river runs dry."


No comments: