Thursday, August 21, 2008

:-)

I met today with the head of my department.  I now have my schedule for this coming semester!  I'm only taking 4 classes, and 3 of them meet on Wednesday.  I'm taking: Coptic (MW), Classical Egyptian I (Th), Classical Egyptian II (W), and Seminar Mastaba (W)!!!  Three out of four classes are language classes!  Whoo!  It's possibly the perfect semester.  Please note: I don't have class on Friday....  :-D

I found out today why I was accepted to Egyptology, a program I didn't apply for.  The woman I spoke with today is the one who decides who gets into both the Egyptology department (which I didn't apply for) and the Islamic Studies department (which I did.)  Basically, she saw my application and decided I was better suited to Egyptology.  If she hadn't been in charge of two departments, I would have been flat out rejected!  This is why I think everything happens for a reason!  

I also booked my ticket to Spain today!  I leave next Friday!  :-)

The sun shone today, so I was outside as much as possible.  I bought The Life of Pi and Anansi Boys in Dutch, then went to the park and read more in End of Poverty.  I'm still not done with that book even though I only have 100 pages left!  There's just so much!  But it's changing the way I look at extreme poverty and a donations.  

After sitting in the sun for a long time, I went to the market on Harlemmerstraat.  I didn't buy anything, but I had a great time looking.  

Lolpod:  On my way home I rode by a family: a father, a mother, a grandmother, and a daughter.  They were all laughing, and the women all had the EXACT same face!  It was like looking at three pictures of the same person, only with make-up making her look older.  :-D  I wish I had had a camera on me, it would have been a perfect picture.  Wonderful moment.

I came home tonight and watched a little tv.  Some British murder investigation show.  It was actually a really well done show.  Much more realistic than American murder shows.  I don't mean the procedures, I mean the way the people interacted and came up with their ideas on who dunnit.  Naturally, it was a To Be Continued....  Naja.  

At some point while I sat there, I realized that I am content here.  Sometimes I don't feel completely content in this country.  The language is only on my tongue, not in my heart.  The weather is cold, and rainy.  But today, sitting there in my new apartment, with my lamp glowing red, and my orange scarf hanging by the door, I just sort of settled in.  

I don't want to stay here forever, though.  My soul and my heart cry out for other places.  

No comments: