Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dreams of Houses

I often dream of houses.  Dream interpreters say that houses in dreams represent yourself, your soul.  I hope this is true.  The houses in my dreams are always different, but some things are always the same.  

In my dreams, the house is always new to me.  I've only just gotten it from someone, sometimes my grandmother, sometimes someone else.  The house is always impossibly huge, with never ending corridors to countless rooms.  In the dreams I'm always  exploring my house, and I'm always finding something amazing.  My house is always filled with beautiful and interesting things.  Sometimes there are interesting rooms, with huge columns, or beautiful furniture.  Sometimes there are entire rooms filled with fascinating things, like in a museum.  Sometimes strange things happen, like when you look through the windows of one room, it's always raining.  I always find a ghost.  My house is always haunted.  But I never run away, and the ghost never bothers me.  I just feel that its there, and I'm afraid.  Though sometimes I do make friends with my ghost. 

I recently dreamed of a house.  New to me.  Huge.  I knew there was a ghost in the living room.  Only this time I was outside, exploring the grounds.  It was night time, and everything was silent.  My house was in a huge neighborhood.  I had a swimming pool.  In the back yard I saw huge couches, maybe 10 ft (3m) long.  Someone was curled up asleep on the couch.  I watched him sleep for a while, and he looked so comfortable in his white blanket, I didn't want to wake him.  I walked to the gate around my house.  It was open, and I saw that I had a very complex and effective security system.  I considered closing the gate, and locking myself in for the night.  But I decided that I didn't need to.  I decided I was safe.  And so I left the gate open.

I hope houses in dreams represent the self.  If so, my soul is huge and filled with wonderful things.  I am always finding something new. There is fear in my heart, but I don't run from it.    And I'm no longer interested in protecting my heart from the outside world.  I'm not afraid.

May love rest peacefully in the garden of my soul!

No comments: