Monday, August 4, 2008

Interesting

I didn't update yesterday.  But it wasn't for lack of trying.  My internet was just not cooperating.  In retrospect, it's probably for the best, because I had a sort of boring day.  I mean, I enjoyed it, but you would have found me horribly dull.  It rained, so I didn't get out much.  I did take my pretty red and orange umbrella for a walk, though.  :-)  (Ever had one of those days where everywhere you go, the perfect song to fit your mood is playing?  That was me, yesterday.  I walked out of a shop to find a street musician smiling at me singing "Drops of Jupiter."  Just what I wanted to hear!  I gave him money and a smile!)

I also watched a lot of Doctor Who on You Tube.  Well, ok, two episodes.  What a cool show!  I don't really know much about it except what I learned from these two episodes.  It's about a man (who is extremely attractive, ladies) who is a time traveller, and well, an alien, I think.  He flies through time in a big blue box (which is much bigger on the inside than on the outside, of course) and saves people from creepy, and confusing things.  

Today has been far more exciting.  After class Susanne and I went on the search for webcams.  Her boyfriend lives in Germany, so this is important.  :-)  I then went to the bank to see if I had an account, and talked to the guy completely in Dutch.  Then I biked home, read a bit online, and then met up with Susanne again.  We sat in the sun on the Burcht, and then we went to a cafe and sat on the water and drank coffee and spoke Dutch.  I also got to talk to Pöhly online for a bit, which was entirely too much fun!  Pöhly is Robert's bff and I've only met him, oh once?  twice? in real life, but he's absolutely hysterically funny.  We talked about everything from Norwegian to Octopi.  Naturally.

Hm, ok, apparently today hasn't really been that much more exciting than yesterday.  I just felt like it was.  For you anyway.  Though, I suppose you missed out on the green of the leaves standing out against the blue sky.  You also didn't feel the sun shining on your face while you sipped hot coffee.  You didn't get to see the boats filled with smiling people sliding by on the canal.  You missed the conversation about jazz pianos and debate clubs.  You didn't even dance along to Dr. John today.

Maybe I should stop trying to blog about what happens in my day, and just start listing all the little things that bring me joy.  They may just be the important bits.

Ok ok, I can't forget about The Store.  On my walk through town, I decided to go into this little antique store.  I keep passing by it, and wondering what's inside.  Well, am I ever glad I did!  This place is AMAZING!  First of all, from the outside it looks very small, but inside it's huge!  Three floors!  (Hmm, smaller outside than inside?  Maybe it's a time machine!)  And the stuff!  This is the sort of place where you half expect to find a magical necklace or a king's treasure, stolen long ago.  I kept half expecting the shop keeper to insist "This book is not for you."  It was like a mixture of a really nice antique store, Goodwill, and your grandmother's garage.  There were beautiful, clearly high quality things.  And there was junk.  There was beyond junk.  There was an 8ft (2.5m) tall chili pepper, smiling at me.  There was a huge lamp surrounded by lots of tiny, identical lamps.  Dolls in lace and mannequins in furs.  A beautiful wooden cradle filled with ice skates of all sizes.  It was just a breathtaking place!  So much to see!  And the whole place smelled of cigar smoke.  Brilliant, just brilliant.  

I'd like to go back.  But I doubt it would be there. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...
It seems like you are enjoying even all these nondescript days; Well, that's a good point!
But if you'd like to have some more specials to say, try to listen more...there are some tiny sounds, hidden between these ordinary moments that can depict a different world.
Listen! Don;t you hear them?!

Amy Sun said...

Haha, so good that you say that! When I lived in America, where everything is so loud, I used to try to always hear the wind blowing through the trees, even over the traffic!

Now I'll keep my ears open as well, to see what else I can experience! :-)