Saturday, August 23, 2008

I <3 my Mom!

I was woken up at 4am today by a huge boom of thunder and a blinding flash of lightning.  A storm!  And a good one!  I stood on my balcony and watched it for a while.  It was sort of scary, really, because there was no wind, only stillness and light and sound.By the time I woke up again, it was the perfect day.  Laura and I met up and went to the market.  The sun was shining, and it was brisk and beautiful.  Laura is a lot of fun, and her face lit up every time we passed a stall that sold candy.  :-)  We wandered around the market and the department stores for a while, then headed back home.
The sun was shining on my balcony, so I basked in it.  I studied some Spanish, and read my book, and chased the sunlight as it ran across my balcony.  I talked to my mom for a bit, and it turns out she's awesome.  She signed up for Facebook when I was in Germany, so I could send her pictures.  I just recently found out that my friends were buying her on the Friends for Sale Application and I've been struggling to keep her under my ownership.  My mom thought this was HILARIOUS, and quickly jumped online so she could start earning money to buy people for herself.  :-)  So cute.

So, I don't know if I wrote about this, but earlier this week, I was sitting on my balcony and the caretaker came by to show the building to a student and her family.  I invited them onto my balcony, and we spoke briefly.  They were German, so we spoke in German about what we study and all that, and I told her that if she needed anything she should find me.  Today I get an e-mail from her (I didn't give her my e-mail address!) and it said (in German) "I just figured out you must be Robert's girlfriend!"   ...   

Apparently, this girl, Julia, went to Robert's college, and he told her I would be in Leiden and that she should look me up.  She then promptly forgot.  Apparently it only hit her today when she decided there probably aren't too many Amy's studying Egyptology in this town.  :-D  What a crazy small world!  

So, Julia and I met up today and drank tea, and talked, and made dinner.  She's here until Christmas to study European cultural history, and then she's moving on to France.  I think we'll have a good time, she and I.  :-)  

Tomorrow, a friend of Joel's is getting to town.  She's another German, and she's coming here for an African Language Conference!  Joel thought we might want to meet.  ;-)

Lolpod:  I was walking down the street, enjoying the beauty of the day.  Sunlight, warmth, beauty.  I looked down, just in time to realize I was about to step on a pigeon.  He somehow just didn't hear me!  So, I stopped suddenly, and the pigeon realized I was there and freaked out.  He flew straight up into the air, directly at my face!  So I ducked and jumped, and the woman next to me on the street grabbed me, and her husband, who hadn't seen a thing, turned around and saw us freaking out and thought we were nuts.  And the woman and I laughed and laughed.  :-D

In other news, my mom is probably cooler than yours:  She made me a Lolcat!  Using my cat!

2 comments:

TheGreatNamwen said...

You're mom is totally cooler than my mom, I don't even think my mom knows of lolcats. I should remedy that fact. I'm quite jealous of your awesome storm. We haven't had one here that lasted for more than a few minutes at a time.

I always thought it was just knoxville that is collapsing in on itself, but it would appear that the entire world is following suit! Though, I suppose, it is possible that it's you doing the collapsing. I certainly seems to have followed you.

:D

Anonymous said...

What a cute mom you've got! She sounds to be really fun! And they are probably right to buy her for dollars…
Say hello to her and be happy.
:)