I'd like to complain about the soreness of my body after two nights of Wushu, but I can't. My muscles are simply too tired to feel pain yet! I'm just feeling sort of weak. But it's the sort of weakness that makes you feel strong! :-DWushu is amazing! Just amazing. It's difficult, and I'm only just beginning, but it makes me feel so wonderful. I've needed something like this in my life again. A structured setting where I can test and expand my body's limits. I've lost touch with my body in the past few years, thanks to travel and school and this and that and yadda. But now I can feel myself sliding back in, gaining control of those pesky limbs. All the better to experience this world with, my dear.
Today has been quite a busy and satisfying day. I went to my information session this morning. It didn't go as planned. Mostly I just confused everybody since I've already done everything, and didn't have a contact person. I'm also a pre-masters student which means, somehow, that I don't have to register, which was really the only reason I still had to go to the info session. To get into classes I just have to e-mail some guy. So...I got nothing accomplished really. Though I did have a nice cup of coffee and a good laugh with the poor woman trying to help me. I asked her about my brilliant business idea, and she sent me to the International Student Advisor.
The International Student Advisor suggested I apply for the ISN-R board. ISN (International Student Network) is in charge of making the lives of international students easier! Woot! I'm telling you, this university has got it together when it comes to helping internationals. I'm in the perfect place to learn about this stuff! So, I spent most of my day sitting on my balcony, writing a Letter of Motivation and a CV. It was a very strange day, weather wise. I would be sitting in beautiful, bright sun one minute, and literally watch the clouds bringing pouring rain blow over and past. Very strange, but comforting.
I also e-mailed just about everybody at Leiden University for one thing or another. ISN, Egyptian classes, Spanish classes, tuition fees. I also found out about a few more student groups in town. Amnesty International, and the official student's UN organization for the Netherlands. They have debates and lectures over international topics. I'm considering looking into them, because it would be nice to surround myself with people who are so in touch with how the world works. I've also never done any real debating, but I think I might just be good at it! It would also be a cool way to improve my Dutch.
Although, my Wushu friends will probably help with that too! We speak mostly Dutch, and they're all really cool about my muddling through. They actually have all said I'm doing a great job, and I guess I can't really complain after only 5 weeks of learning this language! I played doubles ping-pong before the class with a guy whose name sounds like Johnson, another whose name sounds like Merlin, and another whose name I never caught. Gah, non-American names are hard! There's also Hannah, Jonathan (I think!) and gah, a Chinese name. Embarrassing! Everyone is super friendly! :-)
I feel like I've fully emerged from my cocoon, and now I'm pumping life into my brand new wings. Get ready, folks, I'm about to fly!

No comments:
Post a Comment