Monday, September 22, 2008

Give it Your All

Today went perfectly.  I woke up and sat for about 20min on my balcony, feeling the sun on my right hand, the cool shadows on my left, listening to the wind in the trees, and the leaves swirling in the courtyard.  A perfect start to my day.  

I then listened to a lecture about Buddhism that talked about three different paths.  The path of development, the path of letting go, and the path of no path.  Extremely interesting stuff.

I spent most of the day sitting on the balcony, burning incense, listening to classical music, and translating Egyptian.  I'm still fighting some bit of terror in myself that causes me to completely freeze up when it comes to doing work.  This goes back to my bachelor's thesis, which was a major blow to my self-esteem, and a big factor in my decision to leave scholarship.  The time, however, has come to let go of this.  So, I pushed through, and got most of the text translated more or less!  :-)

Wushu tonight was great.  I've noticed that I'm in much better shape than I was just a few weeks ago.  And that's just from working out on Monday and Tuesday (4.5hrs a week all together.)  I mean, I always take stairs, and bike etc. but I feel like I should be doing a lot more to be feeling this good, and getting this flexible.  Not that I'm complaining. :-)  I still plan on doing more.  I'm going to buy a practice sword from my Tai Chi teacher tomorrow. :-P

My bike is currently in the shop (chain needs tightening) so I had to walk to and from Wushu.  Jonthan walked me home.  I mention this because I think Jonathan is a fascinating person, and just further proof that I am an interesting person magnet.  I'm not exactly sure what he studies, but he was telling me he had to write an article about a recent literary contest.  I do know he spent some time in Japan, and was, while there, a member of a boy band.  Jonathan is a transexual, and was actually born a girl.  He'll be starting up his hormone treatments soon.  He looks 13, but is actually 23.  He's Dutch, but speaks English really well.  My favorite part is he talks just like Eddy Izzard.  He has the same accent, and same rhythm of speech, everything.  Just thought you should know I am friends with a transexual, Japanese boy band version of Eddy Izzard.  Beat that!  :-P

Now I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open.  I worked so hard in Wushu tonight.  We were learning a move called 'the butterfly', which is really cool, and flying, and hard.  And I just wasn't getting it, and I tried, and the teacher stopped me and said "Amy, I think you can do much better."  Which just thrust me into this hyper-focused place.  I finally figured out the movement, but everything we did I was just focused.  110% the whole time.  Felt great!  Feels great!  :-D

The teacher has apparently been thinking I was Russian.  Haha.

1 comment:

Carrotflowers said...

I can't beat that. I will however mention that I just packed a box containing a gnome tree house, a Venetian carnival mask, your Indiana Jones whip, some gawd-awful round map of Sardinia, and a number of mis-matched shoes. My box isn't nearly as cool as your Eddie Izzard transexual Japanese boy, but that's all I got.