Monday, September 29, 2008

We Might Not Land on the Sun...

I had a dream the other night that I was being kicked out of my own house, in Nashville.  Not by my parents, by someone else who I had let in.  They took over, along with their whole family, and then asked me to leave.  My dad was there and he calmly put his hand on my shoulder and led me out.  I was so sad, so hurt, but I knew it was all going to be ok.  I guess I've been kicked out of my own soul, somehow, into something new.  :-)  Cleansing dreams are always best.

Today was rather slow.  I read a bit more of Mr. Y (which remains creepily relevant) and listened to some more lectures on Buddhism.  I also went outside and enjoyed another painfully gorgeous day.  September is doing everything it can to melt my heart to this place.  It's working, I have to say!  Sunlight, ah, sunlight.  And that biting autumn air, with this slight hint of orange everywhere you go.  

In the afternoon I met up with Julia and Silvia and we took a train to Haarlem.  We wandered around the city for a few hours, chatting.  I really really enjoy both of these girls.  A lot.  They're both so fun and interesting.  We had some coffee, and some suiker waffels (sugar waffles) and headed home.  We then went to Silvia's apartment, which is next door, and Julia made some amazing fish curry.  I chatted with Silvia's roommate Jason (Canada) about the upcoming election and about Canadian culture.  Then we all discussed Knight Rider and the A-Team.  :-P  

Now I'm home and sort of dreading going to sleep.  Because I have to get up and go to class tomorrow.  And translate, and and and.  Yurgh.  Mostly I just want to sit and read my interesting books, and talk to my interesting friends, and maybe even write an interesting paper!  

I'm suddenly craving Zora Neal Hurston, Alice Walker, Maya Angelou.  Women like them.  I need to hear the words of women who understand the depths of pain and the expanses of hope. 

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots.  Then I have stood on the peaky mountain wrapped in rainbows, with a harp and a sword in my hands." --Zora Neal Hurston

No comments: