Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Go, Go, Speed Dating

Phew.  Long day.  It started out a bit dull, with Egyptian class.  Actually, class was super interesting because we talked a bit about Egyptian conceptions of time.  This is something I might just consider for a thesis.  That or something to do with borders, gates, or other in between places.  I'm a big fan of the in between places.

Either way, about midday I had something of a meltdown.  Basically, I'm just plain frustrated with learning all this detailed junk about Egyptian language.  I don't see where it's all going.  Talked to mom.  She said I don't have to see where it's going.  I should just go.  Again, it just helps so much to have someone else say the things you keep saying to yourself. Thanks mom.

After that I had no problem translating Egyptian for a few more hours.  And I enjoyed it!  I'm beginning to set a fire in myself again.  :-)  I went to the Lipsius building, which is sort of like the University center.  It has a cafeteria, a cafe, classrooms, labs, offices, stuff.  I go there because there's coffee and food, and lots of noise, which I need to study.  But I also go there for Muhammad.

Muhammad is the dish washer in the cafeteria.  When I first started going there, I didn't realize you're supposed to dump out all the food and trash before you hand in the tray.  But Muhammad always just smiled at me and took my tray, no problem.  The other day I finally had a conversation with him.  He's an older man from Morocco, but he's lived in Germany, so we spoke in German!  Such an interesting man!  

Truthfully, I've been fascinated by him for a while, because while he works, he sings, or he whistles.  You have never heard such beautiful music!  His whistling alone was enough to stop me cold the first time I heard it.  I really thought it was coming from a radio or something!  Gorgeous.  And he's just always doing it!  Today you could hear him all over the cafeteria, singing these amazing, lilting Moroccan songs.  And whistling Love Me Tender!  :-D

Tonight was ISN-I's Speed Dating event!  I've never done speed dating before, but it was really a lot of fun!  We met at Einstein, and the boys sat at tables, and the girls went around and talked until they rang the bell.  Then we moved on.  I met a lot of really interesting people, and had lots of interesting chats.  It's pretty amazing how much information you can find out about someone in 2 min!  I don't really know how anyone ever tries to use speed dating as a way to actually start dating someone.  Then again, I'm almost certain I'll see everyone I met tonight again at some social event or the other.  That's the life of the student.  Maybe if I weren't a student and thought I might never see some of these people again, who knows.

In other news, I finished Avatar today.  I'll have to do a separate post about it sometime.  That show is just great, and exactly what I needed at this stage in my life.  :-)

No comments: