Last night, when I should have been asleep, I watched The Godfather part II. Gah. What a movie!I woke up too early this morning. Not horribly early, just before 9, which I wasn't into. So I went back to sleep. And woke up really late. :-P This happens to me sometimes. If I wake up at a decent hour but just don't want to get up yet, I tend to get caught up in dreams when I go back to sleep. And I have a harder time waking up. This isn't always a bad thing. I tend to have some pretty rockin dreams during this time. This morning they were pretty scattered. I don't remember much, except Robert was there, and so was Morpheus, the god of dreams.
I rolled out of bed (ok, not literally, I sleep 10ft (3m) off the ground!) around noon, and decided I needed to get something accomplished. So I went shopping! ;-) I got a Dutch-English dictionary and a zucchini! Haha, not exactly shopping until dropping, but I had fun! For me shopping is more about looking at the beautiful things in the story, and especially about looking at the people on the street. I don't really enjoy the buying part all that much, but I could look all day!
I studied some Spanish today. Not as much as I wanted to, but I can conjugate verbs! A perfect start! I also watched videos on Ted.com (which you should check out, if you haven't! Good stuff!) and cleaned the heck out of my room. I am constantly amazed at the amount of hair! And now that I literally have 6 or 7 times more floor space, I end up with lots of dust and fuzz. I need to get house shoes, so I can just leave my shoes at the door. Right now, I keep them on because my little be-socked feet get too cold! :-) I'm going to have to stock up on warming things for the winter. House shoes, and blankets, and maybe gloves. Ooh, and earmuffs! I'm a cold natured gal anyway, and summer is about to kill me!
I also watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Laura (my neighbor.) She dragged her comfy chair over to my room, and we jammed out on a bag of popcorn. I don't know if you've seen this movie, but you probably should at some point. Absolutely hilarious! Puts any relationship trouble you've ever had into a very nice perspective! :-P
I think it's funny how the universe seems to send you little hints. (Speaking of Ted.com, check out Amy Tan's talk on creativity for more on this!) I think my view of the whole fate vs. choice debate is best summed up by the movie Serendipity:
Jonathan: Everything's predestined? We don't have any choice at all?
Sara: I think we make our own decisions. I just think that fate sends us little signs, and it's how we read the signs that determine whether we're happy or not.
Anyway, here's the signal I've been getting: GET OVER YOUR HATRED (read: fear) OF THE COLD! Now, recently I got really mad at Robert for telling me that I shouldn't dislike onions as much as I do. I got mad because I thought, hey, I have a right to dislike anything I please, thank you! The point wasn't that I don't care for onions (you can't like everything, even if you try!) The point was, I was trying to define myself by my dislike of onions, and defining yourself based on negatives is just dumb. Besides, I might love onions tomorrow, or in 7 years. And sometimes I really don't mind them all that much, anyway. My relationship with onions is simply too complicated!
So, maybe the universe was speaking through Robert, because even though I still like to laugh about how gross onions are, I can't say I hate them. This little, seemingly meaningless exchange opened my eyes to what the universe is screaming at me. I kept getting little signs that the Netherlands was where I was supposed to be. Dutch showed up everywhere in the months leading up to my decision to study here. I mean, everywhere. The one thing I don't like about this place? The weather is too cold.
I'm a warm weather girl, and I don't mind defining myself based on that. Warmth brings me joy, and I want to be defined by what I love! But it comes down to this: If I continue to hate (fear) cold weather, I will not be happy for the next two years. And I'm just not willing to let that happen! If I can learn to love the cold, then I will just be opening myself up for more joy.
So, here I go. If you catch me complaining about the cold, please, gently remind me that I must love it. I may need help! ;-)

1 comment:
If it helps, you can pretend you're enjoying it as me. :)
Also, knitting is sooooo much more awesome in a place that gets cold. Just sayin'.
Post a Comment