Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Beaurocratic Zen

This has been a stressful week, and it's only Tuesday!!

First let me say that Sunday was very nice.  Jan and me and everybody went to Katwijk for dinner on the beach (Koos was geocaching in the center of Holland.)  It was a good time, though a little chilly, but as the sun set we (and we = about 20 people) found a restaurant to take over and drink hot chocolate and coffie and such.  Sunday was good.

On Monday I was woken up by a call from the people who own my room.  Aparently, the girl who had the room before me wasn't supposed to rent it to me in the first place.  But, the main problem is, I have to rent the room for at least a year.  Since I'll be leaving in August, I don't qualify for the room, so I have to leave.  By Friday.  Awe. Some. Ouch.

I know for a fact that there are 18 empty apartments in Koos' building.  This is great. The building is nice, and in a good location, and though I'll have to have a roommate, it's still pretty great.  So, I went today to get a contract figured out.  

Here's the great part.  To get a contract signed, I have to pay them various costs, which means I need a bank account that works.  Recently, my bank account was suspended because I haven't given them my BSN (which is a Dutch social security number.)  To get my BSN I just have to go to city hall and show my passport and prove that I have an address in Leiden.  Which means showing them my signed contract....oh dear.

Fortunately, the housing people gave me a piece of paper that they said should suffice, and they told me to get the city hall people to call if I have any troubles.  So, that's what's in store for me tomorrow.  Running to city hall, running to the bank, not to mention class.  Ahhh, paper work.

The rest of my week will be dedicated to moving...AGAIN. Not a week after I was officially moved IN to my new place!  And it gets more complicated:  Koos went with me to get the paper work figured out, and decided to get a new apartment in the building since there's a really sweet apartment on the roof (corner apartment, so more windows, and access to the roof, so sunning space! and midday sun instead of morning sun.)  He moves on Friday.  But since I have to move BEFORE Friday, and my apartment isn't available until the 16th, I'm moving my stuff to Koos' current apartment for storage, and then I'll get to move it to his new apartment, then to my new apartment.  

Good god, this is getting obscene.   This will be my 5th apartment here since June!!  

Oh well, at least Koos got a niiiice apartment out of it all! :-P  

In other news I bought a mini-oven today for 15 euro and I'm thrilled.  Now that I've had a few months at a place that had a mini-oven,I'm just plain addicted to baking things.  Portobello mushrooms, potatoes, pizza, fish sticks, I mean, the possibilities are nigh endless.  

Met up with Cindy and Koos and we discussed an Afrikaans poem she has to do a presentation on.  Koos did a recording of himself reading it (he has a very nice voice for such things) and translated it for her.  :-)

Now, I'm going to go read Alice in Wonderland and get my mind off the craziness around me.  Fortunately, there hasn't been any panic.  I've been calmly handling all the wackiness.  :-P

No comments: