Thursday, April 9, 2009

Speak to Me, Big U!

It rained yesterday, and my bike had a flat tire.  This sounds like the start of a sad story, but it's not.  I took the bus to city hall, got my Dutch social security number, reopened my bank account, and made it to class with 30 min to spare! Whoo!  This would have been quite a victory had class not been cancelled.  (I knew it was cancelled, too, I just got so caught up in my housing crisis that I forgot.)

I went to stand on the bridge to wait for Koos.  Janko walked by and asked if I was about to have a photo shoot and said I looked pretty amazing.  I suppose it was a nice look: long black coat, black shoes, red umbrella, matching gloves, long dark hair, and the stark white bridge behind me.  :-P

Koos and I went on some errand or the other related to geocaching.  We met the coolest man.  He's just a geocacher, who helps other geocachers with their gear. He was just so animated, and there were just so many pictures of cats around the room, you couldn't help but like the guy. He gave Koos a lot of free stuff, and sent us on our way.  We had coffee at the Catwalk, then met up with Cindy again for a little while.

Today I have been running non stop since 8am.  Archaeology class first thing.  We watched videos of Egyptian potters, which was nice.  Afterwards I made a few runs between my old apartment and my storage apartment.  It's actually a really nice deal:  Koos is moving to a room upstairs, and since it's a long weekend, for the next few days, he has TWO apartments!  Which is  perfect, since I get my key tomorrow! :-)  Koos joined me and we made a rather ridiculous, but highly entertaining run from my apartment pushing a shopping cart full of my junk.  It really saved us, since I've used a car the other times I've moved.  My biking skills are highly impressive, at least to myself.  I got my housing contract signed, so I am no longer homeless, yay.  I moved more stuff.  

Then Koos and I went to salsa lessons at the sportscenter.   I had a good time, though the lessons aren't exactly taught the way I would want to teach them.  My only problem really is that it's not really about teaching lead-follow, but rather just about dancing.  So it looks like you're doing salsa, but you're not really doing it based on actual partnership. But what do I know, it's only the first lesson, so I can't judge it!

Besides, after the class the teacher came up to me and danced with me a little. He then told me I was very talented and asked me to come to his intermediate and advanced classes on Monday.  He said he'd like to train me a little, and then have me teach with him!!! Whoa!  This was, technically, my first salsa lesson, ever!!  :-D I was actually very flattered, because he approached me first in Spanish!  I suppose he thought I was a Latina! :-P

The sports center is also offering bellydance lessons, so I suppose I'll have to check those out too!  Maybe I'll get another teaching job!  

Maybe the Big U is trying to tell me something....

1 comment:

Robert said...

The Big U is doing you a favor everytime you manage to go to a dance course. Seems like signs to me ;) also that a lot of your opportunities involve teaching one thing or the other... Maybe they'll call you Coach one day, like Morrie, as I hope they will call me :D
Happy Easter, Leila