Monday, October 26, 2009

Taking a Break

Well the first days are the hardest days
Don't you worry anymore
Cause when life looks like easy street
There is danger at the door
--Jimmy Buffett

I'm sitting on my balcony eating flat bread and hummus, dried apricots and apple tea. A half empty bottle of water accompanies me, my journal is waiting for me to tell it about my day. I'm feeling a bit better.

This morning we visited the Deutsche Archäologische Institute Kairo (DAIK.) Fortunately it's literally only two buildings away from my flat so I got to sleep in just a little. Apparently it wasn't enough, however, because I was yawning and drowsy for the rest of the day. The DAIK is very nice, and I will probably spend much of my study time there. They don't have WiFi which is a good and bad thing, and I need to find out about the coffee situation. But the woman who introduced us to the place seems very nice and helpful, and it's always nice to hear some German once in a while. :-)

Afterwards we stopped by the Supreme Council of Antiquities and got a nice tour of the place. Got to meet some of the folks who work on preserving various monuments around the country, and got to see how it all gets done. I have to say the best part for me was seeing the men stop their work and set out their prayer rugs to pray when the call to prayer sounded. In Europe it seems that if you do have faith in anything, you're expected to hide it, or just shut up about it. No one wants to hear about religion. Here, they literally scream their beliefs in the streets. People stop what they are doing, and pray. Not everyone, not even most people, not in Zamalek anyway, but people do it. Say what you will, I like it.

Once the group broke up for the day, Kaz and Sandra and I went to Alpha Market to get a few more things for the apartment. This store has a bit of everything from lentil soup to diving flippers, from plush toys to Timotei shampoo. Then we came home and I crash landed.

Went straight to my room, laid down, and slept for an hour and half. Finally woke up, stumbled into the kitchen to make some tea, and grab something to snack on, and here I sit now. The others have gone to a lecture, but I decided to skip it. Not because I'm not interested, but because I just need the break, need the time alone.

Later I'll join the others at the Belgians' place. Today is Brenda's birthday. :-)

Tomorrow: Arabic.

No comments: