I didn't update last night, but you see I was in the middle of an epiphany, and decided to just go to bed instead. More on said epiphany when I'm out of it's wind storm. Not much to be said about yesterday really. Three words sum it up: Elvis, Indonesia, and afriendlybusdriver (ok, that's not just one word.)
Elvis
There's an apartment that I pass every day that is covered with Elvis pictures. I've never seen the inside, but the outside walls, the outside windows, COVERED with pictures of Elvis in every stage of life. Koos and I used to ride by and wonder what sort of person lives there. And yesterday I found out: Elvis does! Yep, a man who looked an awful lot like an older Elvis was getting off his bike and opening the door as I went by. Problem solved! Elvis lives! Surrounded by pictures of himself in his prime! Amazing!
Indonesia
I went to, yes, you guessed it, Coffee Star to pass a little time yesterday. Finished the book I had been reading (I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings) and searched for another to pick up. I wanted something good, but not too sad or too happy. I decided on Eldest, a young adult book about dragons, but the writing style was so stilted and childish that I just couldn't bring myself to read past the prologue. So, I searched on. And finally found: Signed, Mata Hari. It's the story of, well, Mata Hari. I had only a vague idea of who she was: some exotic temptress who was accused of being a spy. That's it. Turns out, she was Dutch! And married some jerk Dutch guy and moved to Indonesia. The book is very good, well written and highly entertaining. And the descriptions of Indonesia, the good and the bad, the flowers and the bugs, the cooling winds and the oppressive heat, aaahhhh, it just filled me with such joy! I only made it half way through, but I'll continue it today. :-)
Afriendlybusdriver
This seems like such a small thing, but in Holland it means everything. I got on the bus, and the bus driver smiled at me, and was friendly to me. It's not like we had a great long conversation. In fact, all he said was "Ok" when I told him where I wanted to go, but he smiled at me, and he looked me in the eye when he said it. Such small simple things! And yet, they are so difficult to come by in this place, that I feel I should mention it in my blog! I just sort of glowed for a while after him. :-)
So, yep, that was my day. I arrived home and felt sort of down (despite the words of the day.) But Koos quickly turned my blue mood around, and sent me funny songs, and was there to witness my epiphany. :-) Maybe Mata Hari had something to do with it....


No comments:
Post a Comment