Monday, December 8, 2008

The Home Stretch

This morning I had one of those terrible dreams where you wake up and think it's 11:30 when your class starts at 11, and you jump up and get ready only to realize that you're actually still asleep and late!  But, it was only 9:30 when I checked, so life was good, just sort of confused.  

Coptic was fine, and I'm sort of sad that it's almost over.  I wish I could have dedicated more time to it this semester, it's pretty cool.  Oh well, Winter break will be filled with Coptic since my exam is 20.January. 

I've decided to stop going to the Inleiding (Beginner Egyptian) course.  It has been amazingly helpful this semester, and has probably saved me from complete frustration and failure.  But, my Klassiek Egyptisch II exam, which is, naturally, the hardest, is a week from today!!  And while my knowledge of grammar isn't perfect, the grammar section of the exam is not as important as knowing vocabulary.  Plus, Inleiding meets 4 times this week, which means I would have been sitting in classes for almost 24 hours this week!!  I don't think so.  I can't see that as being very helpful, frankly.  So, I decided to skip out for the week and study vocab.

So that's what I did today.  I hit up Coffee Star, and met with Julia and Silvia and we worked there until Coffee Star closed.  I came home and wanted to work some more, but I got distracted by Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Marble Faun.  I think it was probably Jan who suggested it to me, and I stumbled upon it and thought, ok, cool.  It's amazing!  I remember reading The Scarlet Letter and being sort of disappointed that it wasn't just a short story.  I thought Hawthorne went a little long in describing the trees.  Marble Faun has its moments, but mostly it's just really well written with this weird sort of sense of confusion and mystery.  I'm sort of in love with Donatello.  :-)  

Went to the store and ran into Silvia.  We had a little chat which made me feel good.  :-)

Tomorrow promises much of the same, happily.  Only one week to go, and this semester is over!  :-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leila jan; I know how it is like to sit in different classes for 24 hours a day!! :) it is sort of frustrating...
But I hope you do your best this semester and feel free again.
BTW, I do agree with you about Donatello! I'm sort of in love with Donatello, too.
:-)