Wednesday, December 17, 2008

This Isn't Actually the Weekend

I totally thought yesterday was Friday.  I still sort of to.  It wasn't.  It was Tuesday.  It was a great day.

I woke up and read Memoiors of a Geisha.  Ilaria let me borrow it on Monday night, and by noon yesterday I was half-way through it.  It's a pretty interesting book, though I think much of its appeal comes from learning about a culture.

Around noon I went down to help Julia pack.  Which meant we made tea and talked.  Silvia came by and we made apple pancakes and more vanilla tea and chatted and giggled some more.

Around three we met with Ilaria and went shopping.  Since the shops close around here by 5, we didn't get a lot accomplished, but we still had a great time. 

We split up and then met again at my apartment, plus Jason, and Ilaria made some AWESOME veggie tofu curry, and we drank some wine and had a grand time.  Then we met up with Janos, and went to Roebels, the "Russian" bar in town.  (It has a lot of pictures of Soviet guys on the wall.  But there's an Egyptian hunting scene in the hall next to the bathroom.  I translated it.  Can't escape.)  We had entirely too much fun taking pictures and playing with candles and dancing.  We danced so much, and everyone just stared at us.  None of the Dutch people moved, they just drank their beers, and watched us all dance.  :-)

Around 2am Julia, Silvia and I went to Janos' and drank port wine and ate fried bananas and discussed wildly interesting things like how to say your feet have fallen asleep in various languages (They go to sleep in German too.  In Italian they get covered in ants, and in Hungarian they turn into cats, for some reason.)  I do have some vague recollection of a serious conversation about something amazingly interesting, but I was drifting off into a very sweet sleep, and so, I don't remember.

I'm going to wait to tell you about today until it's over.  Because, even though it's lasted all day, it's not over yet.  Stay tuned.

No comments: