Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pumpkins and Gin

It was a sunny day, so I took a spin through the market.  I went by my favorite second hand stuff store, and bought a few candles and a little traveling case.  Like a mini awesome suitcase.  Then I spent my day in the library.

I looked again at the book sale, though I didn't find anything I couldn't live without.  Then I browsed the books, and finally decided on a Terry Pratchett book, Wyrd Sisters.  Uh-mazing, though I'm not surprised in the least.  I love that man.

I noticed that everyone kept smiling at me.  I found it sort of odd.  People would pass me in the street, or come up to my table to get a magazine, and they would look at me and smile.  This is rather strange here, where people tend to just ignore you unless you are physically touching them.  And then I realized.  Today I wore a long skirt and tall boots, a baggy blue sweater, a turquoise and green and blue scarf and a green fedora, and I carried around a mini-suitcase and read a book called Wyrd Sisters and laughed out loud in the library.  People thought I was quirky!  I was a quirky girl who wears too many colors, carries around strange things frequents the library and reads all day.  Um...am.  I am that girl.  People were smiling at me because they think I'm weird!  Though I suppose it's worth it to get a smile out of these people.

The sun set, as it does, and I realized I'm getting almost more comfortable with night than with day.  It's like daytime is too uncertain, I know it's going to go away, and I can at least be sure that it's going to stay dark for a while.

I came home and made a rather amazing dinner of rice and (soy) chicken.  And I watched American Gangster, which is quite a good movie.  I also read An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde.  This is possibly one of my top 10 favorite movies, and the play was just as good.  I'm unabashedly in love with Lord Goring.

Later on I met Julia and Janos and two of Julia's friends (Ellie and Leah, I think, both from Germany.)  We had a great time, drinking Jenever (Dutch alcohol flavored with juniper from which gin is derived) and talking about dreams and life in America vs Europe.  It was really quite an amazing night.  

And now, as they apparently say in Hungary, the bear has spit, and the pajamas have launched and, as we say, it's pumpkin time, and if I don't get to bed I'll turn into a pumpkin.  :-)

No comments: