Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Kind of Therapy

Wednesdays suck all the energy and enthusiasm right out of me.  I mean it.  Bleh.  Up in the mornin' at 8am, and I don't come home until 11pm.  Blah blah.  Oh well, I only have to hold in for another month, and then things can really change.  They're already changed, but my class schedule remains for another month.  Then, relative freedom.  Then I can at least sleep a little.  Next semester I'm saving more time for myself. :-)

Today I decided I had had enough.  I was cold, and just couldn't get warm, and I couldn't breathe, and I went to Coptic and just put my head down on the table.  Exhausted.  

So I stood up and walked out.  (Class hadn't started yet, and I was alone in the room.)  No Coptic for me today, even though I'm really really behind in there already.  But the exam isn't until late January. I have to make priorities!  

I went to a book shop to get some cards so I can make Egyptian note cards.  My plan is to learn two pages of vocabulary a day.  In two weeks I'll have learned the entire glossary in the back of my book.  That, I think, is what I need to do.  But, well, I was at a book store, so I bought  a few books too.  Couldn't help it.  Call it therapy!  :-)

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.  I've never seen the movie, but the guy who did Spirited Away did the movie, and I LOVED Spirited Away.  I've heard the book is AMAZING, and if it's anything at all like Spirited Away, I'll probably like it.  Anything with reality blurring, and I'm happy.

Which brings me to the other book I bought: After Dark by Haruki Murakami.  I'm actually considering starting another blog just to write book reviews.  :-)  (I'm afraid I'm addicted to both reading and writing, so really a book blog was inevitable.)  This book is a lot of things.  Yeah, I read it in an hour.  I can't say that it's one of my favorite books.  Frankly I was slightly disappointed in it.  But, I love the way it makes me feel.  Hopefully I'll post a nice review of it soon.  I'll have to read some more Murakami, I think.

Now I'm home, and I'm going to bed.  Clan of the Cave Bear is waiting for me in my tall bed.  :-)

Lolpod:  The look on the man's face when he caught me singing and jamming out to Bob Seger's Feel Like a Number in an impromptu dance therapy session. :-P

I take my card and I stand in line
To make a buck I work over time
Dear sir letters keep coming in the mail
I work my back till its racked with pain
The boss can't even recall my name
I show up late and I'm docked
It never fails

I feel like just another spoke in a great big wheel
Like a tiny blade of grass in a great big field

To workers I'm just another drone
To Ma Bell I'm just another phone
I'm just another statistic on a sheet
To teachers I'm just another child
To the IRS I'm another file
I'm just another consensus on the street

Gonna cruise out of this city
Head down to the sea
Gonna shout out at the ocean
Hey it's me!

And I feel like a number
I feel like a number
I feel like a stranger
A stranger in this land

I feel like a number
I'm not a number 
I'm not a number
Dammit I'm a man
I said I'm a man!
--Bob Seger

I'm an easy person to please:  give me books, and give me music, and I will find my joy once again!  Without fail!  :-D

3 comments:

Carrotflowers said...

I think I would look askance if I were Dutch and saw you dancing and singing "Dammit I'm a man!" Actually I wouldn't, because that's just par for the course with you, but I can see how others might. Hee.

My anti-spam word verification for this comment is "phing"--- PHING!

Amy Sun said...

Not too long ago I got "wamoram" !!

Amy Sun said...

And Dutch people need to get out more often.