My plans were to have a pretty crazy weekend, but fortunately, it hasn't worked out that way. I spent a very productive Friday in the library. Then I put school behind me and played.I went to the Game Night in the Common Room where a large group of us (Grace, Walter (half-Dutch, half-Indonesian), Chris, Jan Claus, Mark (German), Jot (Taiwanese) and another girl from Taiwan whose name I don't remember) played Apples and Pears (in English it's called Apples to Apples.) It's a language game where one person puts down an adjective card, and everyone has to decide which noun card in their hand is best described by the adjective. It's a lot of fun, and hilarious, especially when half the people playing are non-Dutch speakers! It was also great that we had some non-Westerners there who didn't know a lot of stuff we take for granted. Like Cinco de Mayo, and Jaques Cousteau.
The other side of the room, (which consisted of 7 or 8 Belgian girls and Julian (Germany)) were playing some strange drinking game. Every now and then someone would stand up and sing the Belgian national anthem or something. They had entirely too much fun, and got entirely too drunk.
Afterwards, Jan Claus (who lives in my building) and Walter (who lives a few blocks away) and I stood on the street and talked about ghosts and scary stories (Lovecraft, Poe, and their ilk.) Then we went to the chapel here, which is closed off and creepy. We were planning to go to Jan Claus' corridor, which is apparently haunted, but we ended up on my balcony talking about religion and politics! :-D And fantasy novels. Naturally. I had planned on going to the Hifi dance party, but the conversation was entirely too interesting. Either way, I didn't get to sleep until 3am.
I spent today in the library translating with Julia and the people from her group. When the library closed, Julia and I met Jason at the Bagels and Beans and (after completely confusing the poor waitress) ate bagels, drank coffee, and talked about guerilla warfare in Malaysia, and the usefulness of the Natural Sciences. Like you do. :-)
Julia and I then went to dinner with the rest of her European studies group. Bas (Dutch) cooked an amazing dinner, and we all sat around and talked about...European history. New people in my life, and a sip or two of red wine. The Germans got into a rather heated discussion about whether the Rheinland or Bavaria is more important industrially. And then they argued about the usage of various German words, and language change.
Now I'm home, and I'm feeling pretty refreshed. I feel I learned a lot of Egyptian today (the word for stars is akhakh, if you're wondering!) and managed to connect to people at the same time. I think I'm going to make this a Saturday ritual. Library with Julia all day, then coffee and conversation all night.
By the way, the photo for today was not chosen because I'm sad or introverted or anything. I just wanted to show off the moonlight in my hair. I love my grey streak!

No comments:
Post a Comment